Chapter Ten

Arthur was often forced by a iron fist instead of a heart. It was considered the usual when his father would tell him off about many things. To not speak as friends with the lower class. To fulfill the duties required as a prince. To obey and execute the law with no hesitation. To address others by their status. To eradicate all that had magic.

But how could Arthur hate magic?

How could Arthur hate magic when he saw it right in front of him?

Giving a contempt smile with slapped lethargy, the elder softly tangled his fingers through the silky locks of the other. Arthur had experienced something beyond belief when he had kissed Merlin. It was as if it was magic itself.

Magic.

The blond sighed. Deep down, he hated to admit such things, but he now solely believed that the brunet was right. Moving closer, he encased himself around the sleeper's side, inhaling the scent of lavender and rosemary. Arthur grinned. The aroma was suitable for the younger man in his opinion. The blond would make sure that he would obtain more of the same scents in the following future.

Arthur had thought the upbringing of their kiss would be more...dramatic? He imagined himself in an assortment of scenarios, saving the brunet with a gentle hand, in return getting soft lips on his. Or if his father had told off on Merlin, speaking of his superiority when Arthur would stop him by a confident gesture, then would begin to talk of how amazing the so-called 'peasant' was.

But this?

Arthur practically stumbled from the chain of events. He didn't know all he had to do was ask. He hadn't fathomed the thought of even receiving such love and affection before. A princess to be future queen would greet him with a kiss, perhaps, but not one out of love. Hadn't Uther ever experienced the same thoughts before marriage?

"Did my father ever marry out of love?" Arthur had questioned Gaius.

He had vividly remembered the shared expressions of love and admiration with his parents. Oh how he had wished to wield the same emotions. Uther had gotten love within his marriage. Why couldn't he? But then Arthur remembered. He recalled what Gaius had said to him in reply that same day.

"They married out of politics, Arthur. They got lucky in the end."

Arthur heaved a sigh.

Arthur was anything but lucky.

_________________

"What if you had only a minute left to live from this moment forward?" Merlin's mother questioned him with curiosity. "What would you do?"

The child's face was suddenly complimented with lines of confusion. "60 seconds? That's barely enough time to do anything!"

Hunith chuckled to her son. "What would you do, Merlin?"

Biting his lip, the brunet focused on something specific, trying to seek out an idea. He then shrugged. "I'd be dead before I'd figure out what to do," he mumbled.

The mother gave a warm smile. "Would you not run? Would you not confess every sin that has occurred? Would you let your legs guide you to a foreign place beyond this cave?"

"Within a minute I'm not sure those things are possible to do."

Another laugh adorned Hunith's face. "They are, Merlin. Trust me."