Chapter 5

Ever since that night Katelynn came over and we talked, I've been hanging out with her ever since. I finished the walls I had to knock down and had some free time. I was also avoiding Preston this past week but now, it's going to be Noah and Preston I was avoiding. My dad got in around 12 on Saturday but Noah was a couple of hours behind him, finishing up work on a house that was almost done being remodeled. He was suppose to be at the house around 4.

It was now 3:45 and I heard a car pull in the driveway. I moved faster, putting on my high waisted bikini bottoms and my bikini top, towel in hand, running down the stairs to get to the beach. "Where are you going?" My dad asked, sitting in the living room with Matthew who was reading a paper.

"Out for a swim." I heard a knock on the door and Matthew volunteered to answer it as he saw my dad and I were busy in a discussion.

"We have a guest over. It would be nice for you to stay and greet him."

It didn't even take me a minute to think. "No thanks," I rushed the words out and stormed out of the house, grabbing my flip flops on the way. I met Katelynn on the beach who was with Zack and Preston. It was the first time I saw him after our conversation on Monday. I had yet to tell Katelynn anything so she didn't know I was trying to avoid him.

"We're here to rescue you!" Katelynn threw her stuff in the sand next to my feet.

"Thanks." I smiled at her and looked over at Preston who was watching me. Zack, of course, had his eyes on the water. I noticed that he didn't like to be in conversations unless it was a subject he cared about which was food, football, and Katelynn.

"Let's get in the water!" She grabbed Zack's hand and ran with him into the water, eager for beach fun. I set my stuff down and laid out my towel, putting my stuff on it.

"Is that him?" I looked up at Preston who was looking at my house. I looked over to it to see that my dad, Matthew, and Noah had moved outside and sat in the deck chairs, talking. I noticed Noah kept his head straight forward, looking either at me or the ocean. He had on dark sunglasses so I couldn't tell.

"Who are you talking about?" I stood up and put my hands on my hips.

"That guy in those douchy looking sunglasses." I raised my eyebrow. "The one that was talking to four other girls while he was with you."

"Katelynn told you?"

"No. Zack did. He asked me to come with him tonight to hang out with you and Katelynn after saying you were trying to avoid an ex. I agreed to come because I'm pretty sure you're trying to avoid me, too."

"Was it that noticeable?"

"It wasn't at first because I thought you were just hanging out with Kat. Then you were hanging out with her all day, every day and I got suspicious. You just answered my question though."

The air between us got tense as he was waiting for me to explain why I didn't want to see him. "I just don't get why you don't leave."

He shook his head, crossing his arms. "It's not your problem."

"I'm still worried-"

"I don't need you to worry about me. I can handle myself. Besides, I thought you hated me."

"Sometimes I do but I just feel..." I didn't finish the words as he finished them for me.

"Sympathy for me because of my abusive father which is the exact reason no one knows about it. Except for you but that was an accident." He started to walk away but I stopped him.