Chapter 15

"You know that the floor looks horrible with this cabinet color. Why would you even think about this?" My mom yelled at my dad while we were all sitting in the living room.

"That is the new style. Sorry I'm into modern trends while you're stuck with the early 2000s color scheme." My dad crossed his arms.

"Excuse me for having good taste. Now pick something else."

"How about you pick it since you're going to be so anal about it anyway?"

My mom huffed and picked up the color samples for the new cabinets they were putting in at a home in Atlanta. I don't think there's a day that goes by when the two weren't having an argument.

"Matthew, honey, we still need to talk about that new apartment building we were going to buy." My dad looked at Matthew and Matthew looked right at my mom, knowing this would get a reaction out of her. My dad loved to win an argument.

"An apartment building? Where?" She raised an eyebrow at them.

"Here on the beach. There's one that's for sale but needs to be fixed up." My dad went to the kitchen to pour a glass of wine and came back to sit next to my mom. "It's Matthew and I's little project we have been working on."

"Why am I not involved with this?"

"We just wanted it to be our little thing." He sipped his wine and my mom threw the samples on the coffee table.

"We are running a business. There is no time for side projects. You need to let me in on everything you are doing. This is getting ridiculous." She stood up.

"We don't have to run anything by you. We are partners." He put his wine glass down and stood up. "We each get the same share amount so there shouldn't be any issues if we decide to take on our own projects."

"I can't listen to you go on about this again. How about you and Matthew take over the business here while I take over the business in Atlanta?"

"You know most of our income comes from those expensive Atlanta homes."

"Maybe that apartment building will bring in more for you two." She looked at my dad and Matthew, rolled her eyes, and walked upstairs with my dad following her, trying to continue the argument.

"You know," I looked at Matthew. "If there is a day that goes by without them arguing, I can't even call that a day."

"Well this is what marriage can turn into. Doesn't it seem so fun?" He finished off the rest of my dad's wine.

"It's the best time of your life, I hear." I shrugged and Matthew smiled.

"Have you given any thought to the offer I made you?"

I completely forgot about the offer. "No I haven't really thought about it."

"Well just let me know when you decide."

I nodded my head and got a nervous feeling in my stomach. I had no idea what I was doing still and while I still had time, it made me nervous for what the future might look like.

"How are you and Preston doing?" He raised an eyebrow at me.

"Really good." I wanted to go on about all the great things about him but I didn't want Matthew to be here all day.

"Is he coming to Atlanta with us next week?"

I completely forgot to ask him again to see if he was going. "I have to check and make sure he doesn't have any jobs to work."

"Do you want him to see city you?"

"What does that mean?" City me was different than what I am now but I didn't think it was a severe difference.