Chapter 8

I woke in my bed with the clothes I was wearing last night and half a plate of pizza rolls next to me. First I questioned what happened last night then I remembered. Preston and I kissed and he admitted he liked me. I almost had sex with him last night. What the hell was I thinking? 

There was a knock on my door and my mother opened it. "It's just me." She looked at the plate next to me and at my clothes, giving me a questioning look. 

"I got hungry then fell asleep." I noticed how dry my mouth was and took a sip of my water bottle which was halfway gone. 

"Well," she picked up the plate. "I just wanted to check up on you since you've been sleeping all morning. I'll see you downstairs." She walked out of my room without shutting my door. Typical mom thing. 

I rubbed my face and heard my phone buzz. I picked it up to see a message from Kat and a missed call from Preston. He apparently called me at two in morning. I was out by one which meant I slept a whole 12 hours. I don't know why he would call me though. He said all he could last night. What more explaining can he do?

I opened Kat's message to find her asking me what happened last night. How does she know what happened? No one was on the beach but us and it was midnight when it happened which meant most of my neighbors were asleep. 

I texted back with a single question mark and not a beat later, she texts me back saying she was at the beach behind my house. I got up and changed my clothes, throwing my long hair up into a ponytail and slipping on my flipflops. I walked down half of the stairs, peering into the kitchen to check and see if Preston was working. It was Saturday but he's been in the house working every Saturday since we got here. He luckily wasn't here today so I slipped right out the door to find Kat with Zack in the ocean. Preston probably told Zack who then told Kat about what happened last night. 

"Kat," I yelled her name to get her attention. She looked at me with a smile on her face then excused herself from Zack who continued to swim while Kat was coming back to land. 

"Hey," she said as she picked up her towel and dried herself off with it. 

"What do you mean what happened last night?" 

She looked at me and smirked. "You know what I mean." 

For some reason, I felt annoyed by this and didn't feel like answering. Why is everyone up in my business today? "How did you find out?"

"So you remember that Melanie girl?" I nodded my head even though she continued to talk without caring about my answer. "She was supposedly walking by when she saw Preston making out with someone on his deck but she didn't know who. She's been telling everyone about it." Of course she was watching him. This girl is getting on my damn nerves. Learn to leave people alone. 

"So why do you think it's me?"

She gave me a 'How do I not think it's you' look. "Preston also told Zack and I got it out of him." I was right about Zack being the one that told her. 

"We were high and it just kinda happened." 

Her eyes widened. "I didn't know you smoked."

"I haven't in awhile. Just last night." I put my hands in my back pockets and kicked sand around while Kat watched me. 

"How was it?" 

"I was high so I really couldn't tell you my honest opinion." She raised her eyebrow at me to get the real answer out. "Okay, it was amazing if I'm being honest." 

"It was just a kiss, right?" She asked. Honestly, I don't know what it was but now he might like me and I've seen how he is with girls. I don't want to put myself in a position that I will get hurt.