Chapter 7

Preston and I walked back into the house after our long hug and when we walked in, I was immediately eyed from Matthew who nodded to the stairs which told me that he wants to talk. Now.

Without saying anything, I went upstairs into my room as Matthew followed. He shut my door and sighed, sitting down in the chair next to the window while I sat down. I couldn't keep in my secret for long so I just blurted it out.

"I dated Noah awhile back."

Matthew gave me an angry look. "Why didn't you tell me? And what did I say about the boy? He's an asshole to girls!"

"I know, I know. But I fell for him anyway."

"Why did you break up?"

"He cheated on me," I mumbled, feeling ashamed at myself. I knew he wasn't a good person but I went for it anyway and that made me feel dumb.

Matthew sighed. "And where does Preston come into this?"

"He was pretending to date me so Noah wouldn't flirt with me." I picked at my chipped nail polish.

"You can't do those childish things. You have to tell Noah how you feel." I guess he was right. It was childish to have a fake boyfriend to get rid of the old one when I could just stand up to Noah and tell him off.

"I didn't want there to be tension in the house since you allowed him to stay here."

"Well now there's tension for whatever reason." He stood up. "I just can't believe you kept this from me." He crossed his arms and shook his head.

"I wanted to but I knew you were going to be disappointed in me."

"I'm disappointed now." Hearing that from him just gave me a sick feeling in my stomach. I was so close with Matthew and he was just like a father to me.

"I'm sorry." 

He sighed. "Well mistakes happen. Now you learned to listen to me about boys. I apologize for letting him stay in the house but you need to tell me these things so I could have stopped this. This is what happens when you keep secrets from me."

"I won't keep another one from you."

"Okay good." He clapped his hands together. "Let's go get some dinner."

******

After I got back home after going out with my parents and Matthew, I sat on the deck and stared out into the ocean, thinking about everything that has happened in my short time here. I made friends and met someone that needs help but doesn't want it. I just couldn't stop thinking about him. Being out in the ocean with him felt so right even when it wasn't real. Or was it?

"Honey, are you alright?" I looked over to the doorway to find my mother. It feels like I haven't really talked to her in a long time.

"Yes," I paused. "Actually can I get your advice on something?"

She sat down on the chair next to me. "What do you need help with?"

I took a breath, hoping the truth won't come out. "I have this friend that doesn't have a good household but they won't leave it. What do I do to help them out?"

"Well there's nothing to do. You can't help someone that doesn't want to be helped. It's their job to get them out themselves if they really think it's that bad." She smiled at me and put her hand on my knee. "You just keep telling them to make the right decision and hopefully they will listen."

"Thanks." I just looked at her hand. It was a weird way for her to show affection. She never touches but if she does, it's a hand on my arm.

"Anytime. Who is this about?" She finally took her hand off.