Chapter 10

"So she almost fired him?" Katelynn jumped on my bed, opening up a Vogue magazine she found in the kitchen. 

"She thought it was a way to threaten me but I knew she wouldn't do that to him. I also don't think anyone else would work for us under short notice." I sat on the bed next to her.

"I can't believe Preston can stand your mom's constant yelling. He once told off a customer for telling him to be careful while sawing wood." She flipped the page of the magazine. "He has some serious anger issues." 

"There's reasons behind everything." I shrugged, pulling out my phone. Facebook sounds like a good way to get out of this conversation before something was said that couldn't be taken back. 

"You're the talk of the town for snapping on Melanie like that. She's going to get her revenge on you, I hope you know that." She said, closing the magazine and looking right at me.

"Like I'm scared of a blonde bimbo. She can't do anything that would hurt me." 

She gave me a 'are you crazy look?' look. "She made one girl move to a different city because she showed up to Melanie's party without an invite." 

"That's child stuff. I would never condone in that. She needs to be more mature." Is this girl trying to live her life like Regina George from Mean Girls? That is just funny and pathetic to me.

"Well that's good." She stood up. "Now that I've listened to all the drama, I have to go meet Zach. There's a party in Myrtle Beach this Saturday if you're down to go. It's just Zach, Preston, and I and I really don't want to be a third wheel." 

If Preston's going then we could actually talk about what happened two days ago. It was Monday and he was suppose to be at the house but he has yet to show up for work and it's already 11. He was probably avoiding me. "Yes I'll go." 

She clapped her hands and let out a little squeal, saying her goodbyes and leaving. I laughed at her and went out to the deck, watching the ocean and listening to its sounds until I spotted Preston in the water. I guess he swims to get stuff off his mind too if he was even thinking about me. I was about to go inside until I saw a head with blonde hair and got a sinking feeling in my stomach. He was swimming with Melanie. However, it was behind my house. He wanted me to see him with her. He was trying to make me jealous. Why can't anyone in this town act mature?

I watched him splash her and throw her into the water. Then he did something I didn't even expect and kissed her. Before he did, he looked right at me. I didn't leave the deck though after I saw that. I didn't want him to know that he upset me. He wasn't hanging out with her to hang out with her. He was doing it to make me mad. He won't go through with his plan because I won't let him. I won't let him bother me. It's only two more months here and I might not ever see him again. 

I went back inside after staying out on the deck for a little over 10 minutes. It's really tempting to tell my parents about Preston's disappearance but that would only show that I did that out of jealousy. 

I went down the stairs and heard my dad yelling about something. "He's literally out there swimming with a girl. We need him here to finish a job and he isn't here. I might just have to go with someone else for this." "Well he can't have a day off when we are paying you extra to get it done faster." "We can't install new cabinets or put in new furniture until it's finished. Either you get him here today and he finishes the job in the next week or I'm finding someone else." He hung up the phone and pinched the bridge of his nose. I'm glad I wasn't the one that called him out for not showing up today. I was surprised it was my dad though. He doesn't pay attention to much and if he could avoid confrontation, he would. Apparently this was serious.