Chapter 18

I knocked on Matthew's and my father's bedroom door when I saw Matthew sitting on his bed by himself, writing something down in his notebook.

"Yes Eliza?" He looked at me and closed his book.

I came into the room and sat on his bed. "You said you needed to talk to me earlier."

He looked at me confused then nodded his head, remembering what it was he wanted to tell me. "I think me giving you those options was too harsh. Especially considering I'm not your parent and I also didn't attend college at 18. I'm going to let you live in the beach house anyway while you figure out your life as you live here."

This couldn't be this easy. "What's the catch?"

"I knew you would catch on," he rolled his eyes sarcastically. "You have to explain to your parents about what you want to do with your life and how you've been lying to both of them about college. Sooner rather than later."

"I already knew I had to do this." I shrugged.

"Yes but I will not be there for support as I always am. It's time to be an adult. You will also have to find a job to pay your bills because I don't think they will help you out after the fact."

"What about the office job?"

He shook his head. "Off the table unless your parents aren't as upset as I think they will be."

So I get this house but I have to start living like a real adult with parents that will always hate what I did with my life. Why does this have to be so hard?

"I'll tell them soon." I mumbled as I thought about all the things that could go wrong when I break the news.

******

After having the talk with Matthew and feeling sick to my stomach, I decided to hangout with Katelynn on the beach. I haven't seen her or swam in the ocean in what feels like forever.

"So have you talked to Zach in awhile?" I was laying back on my towel, sunbathing, while she was playing with the sand.

"No but I saw him on the boardwalk a few days ago with Melanie."

I scoffed and shook my head. "What is it about this girl that has all the guys swooning over her?"

"She can open her legs with a simple hello." Her tone was serious but then she started to laugh and that made me laugh.

"I can see it." We continued to laugh.

After our laughter died, we heard other people laughing down the beach. We both looked over to see Zach and Melanie running around and splashing each other.

"You can do so much better," I said out loud when I meant to keep it in my head.

"He was never a bad boyfriend until that night. I keep running it over in my head about what happened and I can't put my finger on where I lost him."

"You might have to talk to him about it."

"I want to but not when I'm tempted to punch him in the face every second I see him."

"That's fair."

"Yo, Liz!" I sat up and looked to my left, seeing Preston running down the beach with his shirt off, almost making me drool over the sight. I still can't believe I'm dating him.

"Hey Kit Kat." He stopped in front of us, trying to catch his breath.

"Long time, no see." She smiled at him.

He looked over to where Zach and Melanie were still laughing and playing around. "I'm gonna talk to him soon." He read her mind.

"I know." She nodded her head.