Chapter 5 - Eric

The Throne Room was full of people. Rows of large desks lined the blue carpet that lead to the White Throne. Lords from every city and town had gathered to the war council. There were banners that hung next to the blue and black Tui of his house. The green and brown Kiwi of house Kalt from the city Ao hung beside the red and gold eagle of house Edgar form Ea.

Eric walked down the carpet. He let the sound of arguing and shouting people wash over him. It was strange, to find something peaceful in the heart of something so chaotic. It was like he was walking through no man's land, like he was caught in the crossfire as volleys of words passed over his head. The lords and leaders still hadn't noticed the prince. That was fine, he couldn't be bothered dealing with them just yet.

He reached the throne, at the end of the blue carpet. It was a simple throne, carved from the same marble that the rest of the Citadel. Decorated with gold and Tuis, it was quite beautiful. He hesitated before lowering himself onto the chair. Demetrius took position, and stood to his right. The Marshal gave a small nod in greeting to Eric's left. Members of the royal guard moved in, but he quickly sent them away.

'This is my throne. I am acting king to all these people.' He felt giddy at the amount of power and authority he had at his disposal, but it quickly passed as the seriousness of the situation set in.

Eric waited for the room to quieten down. It took a while, but he didn't mind, It gave him more time to think about what he was going to say. Soon the talking had stopped, but Eric did not speak right away. He took his time, and waited for every face in the room to be directed to him.

"Greetings." He said. "To those of you who do not know me, my name is Eric, son of Lucas, and I am acting King until further notice."
"Where is King Harkus?" A man said, stepping forward.
He was a tall, lean man with pale blond hair. His eyes were ice blue, and they fell to the floor as Eric examined him. The man wore expensive clothing, which marked him as a lord. The banner men behind him held flags with the crimson Kea of house Edgar.

"The King has gone away on his own business, it is no concern of yours as to where."
There was silence throughout the room.
"As most of you will know, there have been confirmed Dragon attacks on many of the Kingdom's outlying and unprotected towns." He paused, and looked to the faces of those in the room.
"This cannot go on."
Many of the lords gave affirming nods.
"These attacks are causing refugees to flood and overpopulate the lower rings of the five larger cities of the kingdom. By harbouring refugees, the cities' resources are at a breaking point."
Again there was the general murmur of approval.
"The few resources we have; food, metals, water and manpower." He listed. "They are almost exhausted because of the ongoing war on Vulca, which many of you have personally invested small fortunes in. Which is why I have called this council to call a vote." He looked around the room again, everyone was focussing on his next words. He stole a glance at Demetrius, who nodded to continue.
"I vote we stop the war on Vulca, bring our armies home, and deal with this rising Dragon crisis."

Immediately there was an uproar of emotion. Many were furious and openly began shouting curses at the prince. Some applauded Eric and were trying their best to defend him. He let the shouting continue for a while, before he put his hand up and again, and waited. Soon everybody was quiet and he had their attention again.

"I ask that you please remain civil as we discuss our options, and should you start getting violent, you will be removed and unable to vote."
"The nerve of you." A man shouted. "Our soldiers, our children and our fathers have fought, bled and died on that planet for more than two hundred years. Are you really so naive to abandon all of that sacrifice so you can keep your halls a little less crowded? I am the first male heir of my family in three generations, my own son died in his first year of being commissioned to that planet. I'll be dammed if I let you or anyone else take away the chance to avenge him, and everyone else who has died for this war. I will not let them die for nothing!" He spat on the ground before the throne. Demetrius rolled his sleeves, and reached for his axe.
"Arrest him." Eric said calmly.
Two guards came into the room and seized the man. They dragged him away screaming, and left the Throne Room in uncomfortable silence.
"By all means, don't be afraid to express any thoughts and opinions about this vote." He said to the crowd. "Just be respectful."