Chapter 28 - Seth

Chapter 28

"We've made it." Seth said to cub as he marvelled at the world around him. It was the first world he'd visited that was not on the planet's surface. He knew that this place was really just a large cave, but it was hard to accept. Birds flew above his head, weaving between large floating mountains of rock and dirt. Roots and vines hung suspended, and swayed gently on the soft breeze.

The forest around him was calm and peaceful. Although nowhere near as old or tall as the trees on Uranus, this forest had an enchanting atmosphere. A large green bird with red feathers under its wings came from within a bush. Its dark eyes stared into his, and its powerful beak opened slightly. It attacked his boots.

"Stop." He commanded, kicking the fat bird away. It hopped over a log and disappeared into the brush. He hitched his bag high on his shoulders, and began walking in the direction which seemed right.

He didn't know how he knew that was the right way, he just did. It was strange; maybe he was feeling a connection to Eric? He didn't know.

As he walked, he noticed the light flicker through the canopy above. It wasn't the sun, he was sure. The sun could only be seen from the surface. The light was from the planet's core, the Earth's beating heart. He smiled, and let the warmth wash over him.

"What do you think, Cub?" He asked.

"I don't know why." Cub said. "But this place reminds me of home. It feels nice."

Seth nodded, as he understood the feeling exactly.

He stared in fascination at a magnificent tall bird that strode past. It was taller than he was, with a long neck and brown feathers. It bit into a leaf, surprisingly gently, then ran away.

He watched it go.

He kept on walking, following the strong pull through the forest, until he came to a cliff face. Far below him was a sea of darkness, and to his right, there was another floating Island, on which, the forest continued. He decided to follow the cliff.

Soon enough, he came across a clearing where a massive white stone stood. A man with a sword between his hands, and a crown on his head was carved into the rock. Below was an inscription which had three words.

Aranor the Great.

"That must've been a very important Human to be honoured so." He said.

"I think he was a king?" Cub replied. "There's a crown on his head. That's what Kings wear, right? A crown?"

Seth pulled a face, and shrugged. Only afterwards did he realize that Cub couldn't see him, so he moved on, somewhat embarrassed.

"You know as much as I do." Seth said.

He noticed a road that was cut into the dirt, and decided to follow it. With every step he took, he could feel the pull getting stronger and stronger. He was so close.

Getting excited, he began to run. He followed the pull off the dirt road, and back into the trees. He splashed through a creek, and jumped over fallen trees.

He was flying. He ran down a valley slope, and almost crashed into a man with blonde hair and golden wild eyes.

Eric.

He was unkept. Sick stained his shirt, and he smelled of something nasty. Blood dried under his nails, and scars ran across his arms.

He paid no attention to Seth as he curled into a ball and cupped his hands around his ears. Rocking back and forth, he quietly murmured to himself.