FLUFF | Mister Moving On

Steve was in the kitchen cooking up breakfast for him and Bucky.

Since HYDRA's brainwashing program has completely been erased from Bucky's mind thanks to Shuri, Steve and Bucky have been living in a small apartment in Brooklyn. Just like old times.

He was flipping pancakes in the kitchen when he heard the speakers start up again.

'Must be him wanting to play some music again.' Steve thought.

While in Wakanda, Shuri had given him an iPod with all the songs she thought Bucky would like; and boy was she right!

Steve would always see him either in headphones or dancing along to the music using their speakers. It was what made them buy soundproof pads to dampen the noise and not annoy their neighbours.

When Steve heard the music start to play, he started to laugh. Mostly because Bucky was singing along to it. Turning off the stove because breakfast was done, he quietly peaked into Bucky's room.

"I'm breakin' down
Gonna start from scratch
Shake it off like an etch-a-sketch
My lips are saying goodbye
My eyes are finally dry"

Steve chuckles as he hears Bucky sing; not yet understanding the meaning of the song.

"I'm not the way that I used to be
I took the record off repeat
It killed me but I survived
And now I'm coming alive"

Slowly understanding the second verse, Steve's smile slowly fades. He recalls the time Bucky fell off the train; everyone thinking he had died. He was about to pry himself away from the door when he heard the beat drop.

"I'll never be that boy again
No oh oh

I'll never be that boy again
No oh oh"

It was obvious he changed one lyric but Steve's frown went back up as Bucky started to dance around the room; like his old self again.

"My innocence is wearin' thin
But my heart is growing strong
So call me, call me, call me

Mister movin' on
Oh oh oh

Mister movin' on
Oh oh oh"

Once Bucky had hit those high notes, Steve couldn't help but burst out laughing. Bucky pretends to not have heard the laughter as he continues rocking out in his room; finally feeling a sense of freedom.

"I broke the glass that surrounded me (surrounded me)
I ain't the way you remember me (remember me)
I was such a good boy
So fragile but no more"

In Bucky's mind played the memories of being locked up in the cryostasis chamber and the many, many times he tried to break free from it, instead of feeling dread and suffering, he felt powerful and confident; knowing that they can't get to him anymore.

"I jumped the fence to the other side (the other side)
My whole world was electrified (electrified)
Now I'm no longer afraid
It's Independence Day (It's Independence Day)"

Steve remembers the day he betrayed one hundred and seventeen countries, world organisations, AND his fellow Avengers for Bucky. All the while Bucky remembers being wiped of his memories. The last line being the breakthrough to what they both wanted.

"I'll never be that boy again
No oh oh

I'll never be that boy again
No oh oh

My innocence is wearin' thin
But my heart is growing strong
So call me, call me, call me

Mister movin' on"

Bucky spins around and looks up at the ceiling with his fists in the air, smile plastered on his face.

"Everything is changing and I never wanna go back to the way it was (to the way it was)
I'm finding who I am and who I am from here on out is gonna be enough (is gonna be enough)
Is gonna be enough"

He turns to face Steve directly in the eyes as he moves towards the blond; smile still visible.

"I'll never be that boy again
No oh oh

I'll never be that boy again
Oh oh oh"

Staring directly at Steve, he pulls him in the room from his spot by the door frame.

"My innocence is wearin' thin
But my heart is growing strong
So call me, call me, call me
Mister movin' on
Oh oh oh
Mister movin' on"

Bucky wraps his arms around Steve's neck as Steve wraps his around Bucky's waist.

"Yeah, I'm movin' on"

Bucky sings softly as the song ends and they gaze into each others' eyes. They both start to lean in and they let their foreheads touch. Taking in what was happening.

After a few more moments, they close the gap between their lips.