Chapter 16

AMELIA'S POV

"So what are we doing today?" I asked, Sherlock, pouring myself a cup of coffee.

"I have another case to work on," Sherlock answered without opening his eyes. I sighed. He had been in his mind palace since last night, and I wasn't sure what to do with myself in the meantime.

"I'll be at the store if you need me. We need more milk," I said, walking towards the door. I stopped when someone grabbed my arm, which I realized was Sherlock's. "Sherlock did you need anything-" I was stopped by Sherlock leaning in and kissing me on the lips. I stood still, shocked but fine with the surprise. Pulling away, I looked up at him.

"Sorry, I-"

"What was that for?" I asked, grinning when I saw Sherlock blush. "Are you blushing?"

"No," he snapped. I rolled my eyes. "And that was for....well, reasons." I smirked, leaning in and kissing him before turning and heading out the door. I could almost feel his gaze on me as I walked out the door. I was positively sure that he was still standing where I had left him, in shock that I had kissed him back.

After walking for a decent amount of time, I walked into the grocery store and grabbed what I needed before heading to the counter. Once I had payed, I grabbed my bags and headed out of the store. I frowned, noticing John pacing outside.

"John?" I asked, walking up to him. He jumped a little.

"Oh, I didn't expect seeing you here," John said.

"I could say the same to you," I replied, smiling at him. "How's Mary?"

"She's doing well. She's actually inside getting something. How's Sherlock?" He asked, smiling back.

"He's doing fine. Actually, as I was leaving he kind of, well..."

"What?"

"Nevermind," I said, turning and walking towards the flat. "Nice seeing you, John!"

"Nice seeing you, too, Amy!" He shouted back, waving at me as I walked away. When I came back to the flat.

"Sherlock!" I called, frowning when I didn't see him in his chair. "Sherlock?"

"Working. Stop talking," Sherlock shouted from the kitchen. I rolled my eyes, walking in on him and seeing him looking at something under his microscope.

"What are you looking at?" I asked, standing on my toes and peeking over his shoulder. He lifted his head and looked at me for moment before turning back to the microscope.

"Toenails," he replied. I crinkled my nose, disgusted, before walking back into the living room. "Amy?" I turned and looked over at Sherlock, who was now staring at me.

"Yes?" I asked.

"Why did you kiss me?" Sherlock questioned, studying me and watching for my reaction.

"Reasons," I replied, smirking and walking down the hall to my room.

SHERLOCK'S POV

I observed Amelia as she walked back to her room. Her face was indecipherable, and it aggravated me that I couldn't tell what she was feeling. Reasons, she had said. They couldn't be the same reasons I had, could they? I growled and paced around the room in frustration. An experiment. That's all it was, wasn't it?

"Are you okay, Sherlock?" Mrs. Hudson asked, coming into the room. "I heard you pacing from downstairs. You're making quite a racket."

"I'm fine," I snapped, sitting down in an armchair and slapping a nicotine patch on my arm. Mrs. Hudson sighed before walking out of the room and back downstairs. I went back to thinking when I heard Amelia walking out of her room. I opened my eyes and stared at her.

"Sorry, I'm just going to visit John and see how he's doing," Amelia explained, grabbing her jacket. I stood up and walked over to her, grabbing my coat. "You don't have to come if-"

"I'm coming," I said, making her go quiet. She bowed her head as she walked down the stairs and went outside, with me in front of her. We sat in silence the whole trip there. When we arrived, we were greeted by Mary.

"Mary!" Amelia shouted, tackling her in a hug. "We just dropped by the say hello. How are you both doing?"

"Come in," Mary said, opening the door wider. "We're doing fine. How about you? Are you staying out of trouble?"

"Mostly," Amelia replied, glancing up at me. Mary rolled her eyes.

"Would you like some tea?" Mary asked us.

"No, thank you," I said. Mary gasped, putting a hand over her heart. I frowned. "What?"

"Amelia, whatever you've done to Sherlock, I thank you for it." I looked at Amelia, who was laughing.

"What?" I asked again, wanting to know why they were laughing.

"You said thank you!" Mary cried, hugging Amelia. I stood awkwardly off to the side, unsure of what to do. "Sherlock Holmes has gained some manners!" I glared at Mary and pushed past her to go find John.

"And there they went," Amelia said, sighing as she followed me.

"John!" Mary shouted. "Amelia and Sherlock are here!"

As soon as I heard the crash, I ran in the direction of the noise. When I made it to the door, I saw John in the middle of a wrecked room, staring at writing that was on the wall. The large red letters spelled out a familiar phrase.

"Did you miss me?"