chapter five

I stood in my room in front of my full length mirror. My hair was a mess so I styled it quickly, adding some mousse to it in order to form some waves. I was now dressed in my matching black lace underwear and bra with my sheer cream robe. I added a bit of lip balm to my lips and walked into the living room.

Tristan had texted me back almost instantly, telling me that he would be over in a few hours. Once he responded, I regretted ever texting him. I had a weird feeling in my stomach, one I couldn't describe. It made me feel somewhat sick. I fell back onto my couch, waiting for him to arrive. Daisy crawled up on my lap. "What did I get myself into?" I asked her, knowing that she couldn't answer me.

A knock at my door startled me awake. Tristan had taken longer to get here than I thought and I had fallen asleep while waiting. I hit my face a few times trying to wake myself up as I made my way to the door.

"Wow," Tristan breathed out as I leaned against the door frame. His eyes raked down my body and I hated the feeling that I was on display. I swallowed the lump in my throat and moved so he could walk past me. "This is so unexpected," he said as he took off his brown jacket.

I bit my lip. "I know. I was just lonely..." I trailed off, hoping to drive him crazy. It worked because he closed the space between us. His hands held my waist tightly and connected his lips with mine in an eager kiss. I grabbed at the small hairs at the nape of his neck. He moaned at this and I didn't object when he pulled me towards my bedroom.

***

I was so tired that I didn't kick Tristan out, but told him not to get used to this. I didn't want him to think that I wanted more out of this than I did. I only wanted him to help me forget my emotions, which I knew was wrong. I was just too damaged and selfish to care.

When I woke up, Tristan was gone but I found another note. Thanks for last night, was all it said. I wanted to barf right there. I tore it up like the last one, but this time throwing the small sheets of paper in the trash can. I padded into the bathroom, looking forward to taking a long shower. What I wasn't looking forward to was going to work tonight.

For once, I arrived right on time. William, my boss, greeted me when I entered. "You look nice and refreshed, Logan."

I smiled. "Thanks. I think the day off really helped," I told him even though it really didn't. It only made me dread coming to work even more. I used to love my job. I enjoyed learning all of the different types of drinks and memorizing the ingredients to them. I enjoyed talking to the customers, when they weren't being annoying assholes. William was nice enough for a boss and I was ok with not making too many friends that were coworkers. I wasn't really one to look for friendships anyway, I would much rather spend time alone because at the end of the day, you only have yourself to count on.

About two hours before closing, Liam entered with a guy I didn't recognize. I prepared myself to treat him with respect, like every other customer. "Hi, what can I get you?" I asked overly sweet, putting on my nicest smile.

"Have I ever told you that I like your smile?" Liam asked, smirking.

"Thanks," I replied dryly. "Drinks?" I asked again, hoping that they would order soon and Liam would stop complimenting me.

"Uh, beer for me. What about you Zayn?" He turned to guy next to him, waiting for his answer.

"I'll have the same," he said, his accent making it clear that he wasn't from here either.

"Coming right up," I told them and walked over to the tap. Tristan was bringing up a few bottles from the back. "What's up with guys from London coming here?" I wondered.

"Huh?" he asked, turning around.

"Oh, sorry nothing," I shook my head. He nodded and gave me a wink before walking off. I refrained from throwing my head back in frustration. He had been winking at me all night and it made me think that I never should have slept with him in the first place.

I placed the two glasses in front of Liam and Zayn. "Here you go. Enjoy." I was about to walk away when Liam stopped me.

"This is my friend Zayn," he gestured to the guy with dark hair who was covered in tattoos. I found them intriguing, making me want to know about each one. "He's visiting, wanting to check out the place me and Niall are renting."

I stopped myself from correcting his grammar. "Nice to meet you," I told him. I turned my attention back to Liam and noticed for the first time that he himself had a few tattoos. I wanted to ask him what the one along his forearm meant, but I didn't want to pry. Zayn nodded in my direction, finishing off his beer. "Another?" I asked him and he nodded again. Liam hadn't even begun to drink his.

"Last call," I told them at closing time. They were the only ones left in the bar and Zayn looked bored out of his mind.

"We're good," Liam said, pushing money across the bar in my direction. "That should cover us." Maybe Zayn only tagged along for the free booze. "So, why are you being nice to me all of a sudden?"

"Nice? I'm treating you like a customer, which is what you are." I grabbed the empty glasses in front of them and carried them over to the sink.

"Are you ever going to call me?"

"I told you already. I don't date."

"It doesn't have to be a date," Liam said slowly. When I turned back around, he was staring straight at me. HIs deep auburn eyes finding mine.

"Then what do you mean?" My voice was shakier than I wanted it to be as I walked back to the bar. Zayn was doing something on his phone, completely oblivious to the conversation happening right next to him.

"What do you think I mean?" he asked suggestively before he hopped off his bar stool and pulled Zayn along with him.

Ugh, this is a sucky ending but I'm just trying to build up the story. yay for zayn making an appearance. please vote and comment xx zoe