Lauren

MAYA'S P.O.V.

I wake up to the bright sunlight coming from my balcony. I squint my eyes and yawn. I slowly get out of bed and rub the sleep from my eyes. Then I remembered where I was. I was in Canada. I go over to my dresser to pick up my clothes for the day. It was slightly warm so I settled on a simple white romper.

I went to my bathroom and hop into the shower to wake me up. I started singing in the shower. This was the only time I would actually sing.

"I am not the prettiest you've ever seen but I have my moments yeah I have my moments," I sing. This was a song I wrote almost a year ago when I was at my lowest point and had no self esteem. (A/N yes, these are actual lyrics to a song called Moments by Tove Lo but for this fanfic I'll be saying that Tove Lo's songs are Maya's!!)

I hop out of the shower and put my hair up in a towel and get dressed for the day. I make my way downstairs and greet my mom and make some coffee. I loved coffee. I quickly took my coffee and a slice of toast up to my balcony and start eating whilst scrolling through Vine.

I looked up and I saw a figure sitting at the window in the house opposite me. I realised it was Shawn. How cliché, my balcony was facing his window. I felt like I was in a Taylor Swift music video. Shawn was playing his guitar. I smiled. He looked up and saw me watching him and he quickly waved. I waved back and sipped my coffee.

It was 10am and I was hanging with Shawn at 12 so I decided to straighten my hair to pass the time. After I finished straightening my hair, I looked at the time and noticed it was almost 11am. I still had some time to kill so I decided to start editing my vlog from yesterday so I could upload it tomorrow night after school.

I was editing when I heard the doorbell ring. Must be Shawn. I closed my laptop and walked downstairs to open the door for him.

"Hey!" I greeted him.

"Hey, ready to go?" he asks me.

I nodded and we left.

"Where are we going?" I ask.

"Taco Bell? And then we can go to the mall, if you want? We might see a couple people from school that you can meet," he suggests.

"Sounds good," I say.

We walk into Taco Bell and sit down and look at the menu. I ordered a crunchy taco and Shawn ordered a burrito and we also got some fries to share.

"So, tell me something interesting about you that the internet doesn't know," Shawn said.

I thought for a moment, "I'm a dancer," I said.

"Really? Maybe you can teach me because I suck," he chuckled and took a bite from his burrito.

"Yep, mom made me when I was little and I really liked it. I don't dance as much anymore but I still love it! Most of it was just hip hop though," I said.

"That's cool!" he said.

"What about you? I know you're into music, but what else? And don't say muffins because I figured that out too," I said.

But Shawn's attention was elsewhere and he was blushing. I raised my eyebrow in confusing. Why was he as red as a tomato? I turned around to see what he was staring at. There was a brunette that just walked in with a blonde girl. I started putting two and two together and turned around smirking.

"So that's what you're gawking at?" I teased.

He snapped out of his daze and scowled at me which just made me laugh even more.

"Do you like her?" I asked.

"No!" he quickly said. "Well, yeah," he admitted.

"Go talk to her then if you like her! Ask her on a date or something," I shrugged and took a bite of my taco.

"Nah, I don't think she likes me like that," he replied sadly.

"Well you never know if you don't ask her. What's her name anyway?" I asked.

"Lauren. She goes to our school. And her friend with her is Darcy," he said.

I smirked. "Hey Lauren!" I call.

She turns around and walks over to me. Shawn looks at me like I'm crazy and I just shrug and turn around to see that she's standing at our table.

"Do I know you?" she asks me.

"Nope. I'm Maya! I just moved here and Shawn's my neighbour so he's giving me the grand tour. Figured I should introduce myself since we're going to the same school," I grin.

She smiles at me, "of course! It's nice to meet you. You already seem to know my name but yes I go to Pine Ridge! You're more than welcome to hang out with me and my friend Darcy tomorrow," she said.

"Thanks! Well I'll let you get back to your lunch. It was nice seeing you," I said and turn around to see Shawn still looking at me like I was crazy.

"What did you do that for? Now she'll know I was talking about her," Shawn hissed.

"That's the point, dufus," I replied and reached over and smacked him on the head.

"Ouch! What was that for?" he yelped touching his head.

"For not taking the chance to talk to her idiot," I rolled my eyes.

He shook his head and we continued eating our food whilst getting to know each other a little more. I told him all about my friends back in LA who were also YouTubers and that I did online school for pretty much my whole life so I was a bit nervous to get back to normal schooling. He reassured me that it would be fine and that he would show me around and be a friend if I ever needed it. I was glad that I had already made a really good bestfriend before school had even started.

Shawn also told me that he was writing his own music and he wanted to show me what he had come up with so far. So we decided to go back to his house after lunch so he could show me his song that he had been writing.

We got to Shawn's house and we went up to his room where his guitar was. He sat down on the ottoman and started playing.

"I love it when you just don't care

I love it when you dance like there's nobody there

So when it gets hard, don't be afraid

We don't care what them people say

I love it when you don't take no

I love it when you do what want 'cause you just said so

Let them all go home, we out late

We don't care what them people say."

He finished playing and looked up at me. "What do you think?" he asked me.

"Wow that was fantastic! Did you really write that all by yourself? Chords and everything?" I asked.

He nodded. I was shook. This boy had so much talent. Why hasn't anyone given him a record deal yet?

"Are you sure you liked it? You're not just saying that are you?" he asked.

"I loved it!! Honestly! If I had that much talent I would be showing it off to the world," I said.

He laughed and thanked me.

"You never told me why you stopped playing," he said.

"I just grew out of it I guess," I said. I mean it wasn't a total lie.

He looked as if he didn't believe me but he didn't push the topic.

We spent the rest of the day talking about Vine and YouTube until it was getting late and it was time for me to go home.

I said goodbye to Shawn and made my way home. I was going to start my first day at a real high school and I was so excited.