Chapter 4

Chapter 4:-

                      Andrew picked up the glass he had been drinking from before he took a shower and brought it out with him onto the terrace of his penthouse suite. He took a seat on a wicker chair and poured himself a fresh drink. It had been a week since the 'date' and consequently a week since the board meeting. He had completely forgotten that he had to give his decision to the board by tomorrow. Glancing down at the portfolio he had placed on on his cotton trousered lap, he diligently read through the first page.

                      EBOLA VIRUS DISEASE: EVD begins with a sudden onset of an influenza-like stage characterised by general malaise, fever with chills, arthralgia and myalgia, and chest pain. Nausea is accompanied by abdominal pain, anorexia, diarrhoea, and vomiting. The central nervous system is affected as judged by the development of severe headache, agitation, confusion, fatigue, depression, seizures, and sometimes coma. The circulatory system is also frequently involved, with the most prominent signs being oedema and conjunctivitis. Hemorrhagic symptoms are infrequent and include hematemesis, hemoptysis, melena, and bleeding from mucous membranes.           

                    The virus spreads person-to-person especially within families and hospitals where practises of basic hygiene and sanitation are often either luxuries or unknown to caretakers and where disposable needles and autoclaves are unavailable or too expensive. The virus has been confirmed to be transmitted through body fluids. Transmission through oral exposure and through conjunctiva exposure is likelyand has been confirmed in non-human primates.Filo-viruses are not naturally transmitted by aerosol. They are, however, highly infectious as breathable 0.8–1.2 micrometre droplets in laboratory conditions; because of this potential route of infection, these viruses have been classified as Category A biological weapons. In 6 December 2011 the development of a successful vaccine against Ebola for mice was reported. Unlike the predecessors it can be freeze-dried and thus stored for long periods in wait for an outbreak. The vaccine is yet to be tested on humans.                      

                    As time went on, Andrew's thoughts slowly drifted towards a certain dark haired Indian girl who may have written this detailed report. Leaning back he let the cool night breeze caress his bare chest. He remembered how stunning she'd looked with her hair let down, those black wavy strands framing her radiant face. He had a thing for hair, especially black. He loved it, loved touching it and running his hands through it. He could only imagine what it might feel like to weave his fingers into Aarzoo's thick dark locks, gently tilting her head backwards so he could place his lips on hers. Then he would lightly trace his tongue along her lower lip, till her lips would part so he could... Oh God, stop... What was he thinking. She was his employee. Sure, he didn't have to work with her on a daily basis, in fact he probably wouldn't come in contact with her, save for any future board meetings he may have to attend. In spite of that it still felt a little weird. Inter-office relationships didn't always work out.                    

                    Pushing aside all further thoughts about her, Andrew forced himself to concentrate on the report in front of him.                                            

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------             

                    "Could you please stop?," Zac said, looking at Aarzoo as she paced back and forth in her office, "the tiles might start to crack underneath your feet."                    

                    Taking a deep breath Aarzoo finally stopped and turned to face Zac who was casually reclining against her desk. It was the day they'd be informed about the Board's decision. He could at least show a little concern, Aarzoo thought, but he was calmly smiling back at her instead.