chapter 6

***

***

Byun Baekhyun was definitely acting suspiciously since the day we met, but I couldn't even begin to imagine that things would get from strange to scary this fast.

'' Big sister visit time! ''

I happily knocked on the door and peeked inside the noodles restaurant. Most of the tables were empty and I instantly spotted my younger brother Sooho, who was struggling to put a bunch of plates on his tray. He seemed to be in a bad mood and his frown became even more obvious when he heard the sound of my voice. I grinned and ruffled his short hair before quickly stacking the rest of the plates on his tray and slapping his shoulder. '' Watch and learn, this is how the professionals do it. Why are you even doing this? Aren't you and Chanyeol supposed to be cleaners? Did you hijack this restaurant? Are the real owners tied up somewhere in the back? ''

Sooho rolled his eyes and an older woman walked out from the kitchen. She gave two bowls of noodles to some costumers before turning towards me and smiling. I grinned back at her and politely bowed. '' I'm the older sister of this one. I was currently in the area, so I thought I'd come check how he was doing. Him and the other thug aren't scaring costumers away, right? ''

The woman laughed and patted Sooho's head. I was surprised to see that he actually let her do that and my eyes slightly widened when I watched her sternly order him to carry his tray of dirty dishes in the kitchen. Then she turned back towards me and introduced herself as Aerin and told me that the duo was nothing but helpful to her. '' I admit, at first I hired them just because I am short and they are tall, so they can help me get things from higher shelves, but they proved themselves to be quite useful! Anyway, now that you are here, do you want to stay for dinner? It's on the house. ''

'' I shouldn't, but... '' I shrugged and sat down at one of the tables. '' If you really insist then I guess I can't say no. ''

That was when Chanyeol walked out of the kitchen and he was trying to balance four plates on his arms. There was a flour stained apron wrapped around his waist and the messy hair that always fell on his forehead was pinned back by bobby pins. I watched the warm smile he had on his face when he served the costumers, before he turned towards us and leaned against my chair. '' She didn't even try to insist that you stay. In fact, I'm pretty sure she was just being polite and secretly hoping that you would say no. ''

Aerin smacked his shoulder and scolded him: '' Don't be mean, Chan! What did we say about the way we treat our costumers? No rude comments or smartass remarks! ''

'' She is not a costumer, she is my neighbour, '' he protested and rubbed his hurt shoulder. He gestured with his chin towards me and his eyebrows furrowed together with confusion. '' What are you even doing here? Did something happen? Yesterday Sooho asked you to bring him a clean shirt to work and you said that you shouldn't be getting involved with his job and that this is a learning experience for him where he has to conquer his mistakes on his own. ''