chapter 9

***

***

The stalker had a fixation with saving girls.

In his eyes I was the one who needed saving from herself. Miyeong was the girl who had to be saved from other people. We didn't know who came before or after us, but I was suspecting that there were a lot of them. Sometimes I caught parts of news reports or accidentally saw articles about stalkers that went after girls with tough lives and I wondered if he was the one behind the crimes. 

My dark eyes were narrowed in concentration and my brush was making light strokes on the white canvas in front of me. I was carefully choosing colours and trying my best at shading, even if I was never really talented for art. The truth was that I wasn't even going to sign up for this class, but some professors from the business department were involved in a scandal and they got fired from their positions. There was nothing that we could do about it and most of the students quickly bribed their way in the best options. Miyeong and I weren't quick enough, so we were stuck in art class, while Chanyeol was absent the day we were signing up and ended up having to do mathematics. 

That day we were painting a live nude model and all the girls were giggling like there was no tomorrow. Miyeong was exchanging looks, winking at him and trying to get his attention, while I was concentrating on doing the best work that I possibly could. I didn't think that I would like art class as much as I did, the only down part to it was that Dokyung signed up for it too, while Jongin was already one of the regular students. She made sure to sit on the spot beside me and annoy me for the whole lesson, while he was behind me, chuckling at her rude comments and practically breathing down my neck.

Dokyung waved her paintbrush around and purposely splashed some of the colour on my purse. '' Tch. Can you at least pretend to be shy? I know that you sleep around, but the way you shamelessly stare at this guy's thing is disgusting. You dedicated at least half an hour to shading it and you haven't even started on his eyes! How much worse can you even be? '' 

I turned towards her and narrowed my eyes. '' I haven't seen you flinch at the sight of this guy's thing either. '' 

She evilly smirked and said: '' That's just because I'm confident, but you are a whole different story. You try to act like someone that you are not and you go to this university like you belong here. You've been avoiding questions about how you manage to afford your tuition since you aren't even here on a scholarship, but I know the truth. It took me some time to find out, but now I can destroy you with a single phone call, so you better watch what you say or how you act. ''

I tried to remain calm and not show that her words affected me in any way. I noticed that she was in a particularly good mood that day and kept glancing at me way too often, but I didn't think too much about it. I realised now that I should have, because her life was pretty terrible lately and she was struggling to keep up her proud and conceited facade after all of her friends dropped her and everyone kept talking behind her back.