chapter 2

***

***

Sometimes darkness came in the form of a person.

The colourful lights of the nightclub were reflecting on my face and the ice in my champagne glass was slowly melting away. The music was blasting in the speakers, but I could barely hear it and the figures of the people around me were all faded and blurred. My eyes were staring in to distance and I was lost in my thoughts and reflecting on everything that happened in the past days. Something got set in motion and I felt like there was no escaping it now, but remembering it now, I wasn't sure when did it start anymore. Was it when I signed up for that expensive university? When I went after Junmyeon's girlfriend? When I spoke with Dokyung again? Or was it perhaps, when I met the strange Byun Baekhyun.

'' Are you sure your boyfriend wasn't just cheating on you when he said that he was going drug dealing? ''

I was sitting on a plastic chair in front of a convenience store and eating an ice cream. My large pink sunglasses were resting on my nose, my feet were on an empty crate of beer and I was looking around the dark street. That neighbourhood was known for being dangerous, so it didn't surprise me that Miyeong told me to come collect information here, while she went to a few nice bars instead. Her tone of voice over the phone clearly showed that by now she already forgot about spying on her ex boyfriend and focused on getting drunk instead. '' Cheating? Do you think he was seriously cheating on me? If that's true, we have to spice up our revenge plan! Do you think we can somehow make sure that he'll get a death sentence instead of just jail time? ''

I smirked and pushed my sunglasses higher up my nose. '' How about we tone it down a little on the crazy and continue with the original plan? Did you even get any useful information? It's almost midnight and I'm starting to get really bored over here, so can I go home? I'm already going to have to have to hold on to my pepper spray on the way to the subway. ''

'' Stay there for a little longer! '' she protested and sighed. '' He goes to that neighbourhood almost every evening, so I'm sure he'll show up tonight too. ''

I sighed and twirled my dark hair around my finger. '' Alright. I'll stay, but only for another half an hour. Oh! I'll bring home some jajangmyeon for dinner! I noticed that at least they have a lot of good food places around here! ''

Two guys stumbled out of a bar that was across the street and I gritted my teeth in annoyance when one of them pointed towards me. They directed themselves right towards the convenience store and went inside to buy some more beer. I was hoping that they would leave without bothering me, but one of them happily sat on the seat that was across my table. I forced a smile on my face when he started asking me why I was here all by myself and prepared to pull my pepper spray from my bag. I was just about to attack, when someone kicked the drunk guy's chair and made it flip over. A shadow fell over his surprised figure and his friend looked at the stranger in disbelief. '' First you make the convenience store worker feel uncomfortable and then you go bother some random girl that clearly doesn't want to talk to you? Are you trying to be some kind of cool gangsters or something? ''