Chapter 7

I wandered down to the 15th floor. I knew Ella wouldn’t mind me staying a couple of days. That’s all I needed was a couple of days. My mother forgot that dad had left most of his savings to me so I could easily get an apartment… or a plane ticket.

I knocked several times on Ella’s door, but there was no answer. I was just about to call her when I remembered that she has a date with Nate. Whoa, unexpected rhyming. No way was I going to ruin her date. I sigh and make my way down to ground level. I’ll walk around until something comes to me.

I try to listen to music as I walk, but all the songs that play are sad and depressing. Not exactly what I wanted to listen to. After a few minutes, I started to recognize my surroundings. I was walking towards Zayn’s apartment building. I hesitate on whether to go in or not. It would be awkward for the girl that you went on one date with to show up at your place, wouldn’t it? What other choice do I have though? I didn’t have enough money in my pocket to get a hotel room; I don’t know anyone else…

I march into the building. I figure the worst that could happen was that he says I can’t stay and I sleep on the streets. Ok ay that would be pretty bad. Before I can even register what I’m really doing, I knock on his door. I feel like a puppet that someone else is controlling.

The door flies open and there stands Harry Styles. I hear yelling and mad laughter of teenage boys coming from behind him. Harry seemed to laughing with them until he saw what a mess i looked like.  

“Avery?” He actually sounds concerned.

“Is Zayn here?” my voice comes out sounding scratchy.

“Yeah, but listen. I wanted to-“

“If you are apologizing, I forgive you. I don’t even care anymore. Just get Zayn. Please.” I practically beg. He yells at Zayn to get is ‘arse’ over here. Zayn comes stumbling over, laughing just as Harry had. He instantly sobers up when he sees me. The first words out of his mouth were not exactly what I was expecting.

“Who did this to you?” he demanded. His toned implied that he wanted to find who hurt me and beat them to a pulp. I just shake my head. I feel the tears threatening to fall again. I don’t know what about Zayn triggered the tears, but my eyes burned.

“Avery,” he grabs my shoulders and forces me to look up at him. “What is wrong, darling? Who did this?”

I look over his shoulder, suddenly aware of the fact that Harry was still standing in the door, watching us. “Can we talk alone?” I manage to find my voice.

“Boys!” he shouts back into the room. “Out!”

“No, don’t ruin their fun because of me. Is there somewhere else we can go?”

He looks me in the eye again and then nods. He shouts a ‘never mind’ back into the room. He slams the door in Harry’s face and grabs my hand. I was led to the stairwell by his strong hand. We go up several flights of stairs until he pushes open a door. A chilly breeze hits me, causing me to shiver. Zayn rips off his sweat shirt and tells me to put it on. I obey his request. We are now on the roof that is complete with a swimming pool and exercise equipment. He sits me down under the nearest cabana.

I take a deep breath and prepare to explain this all to Zayn. He sits across from me and studies me with eyes full of worry.

“My mother just kicked me out of the apartment. Well, technically, I left.” Zayn just looks confused.

“I guess I should start from the beginning. I had a brother, Joey. He was a year younger than me and was the greatest kid you would ever meet. He got straight A’s, was Captain of all of his sports teams and he always had some girl chasing after him. He got all of the looks and charm of the family. We were as close as siblings could get. I went to him with any problem I had and vice versa. I always wanted what was best for him. I loved that kid with all of my heart.