6. The Dinner Date

Opening her laptop, Priya logged in to Facebook. There was a friend request. Vikram Khanna's. She gladly accepted it and messaged him a "Hi". And thus started their conversation. Within the next hour, both were aware of each other's basic details. And then came the last message from Vikram, "Will you accompany me for dinner tonight?"

The question shocked Priya. Why is The Vikram Khanna asking her out for dinner. She could not think of an answer. Suddenly, he messaged again, "You don't have to if you are uncomfortable." She took a deep breath and replied in positive. "It is just a casual dinner," she told herself. Making the plan to meet at Priya's place at seven in the evening, they ended the conversation. 

Priya told her mother about the plans and started preparing for the night.

~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~...~

As soon as he received the positive reply from Priya, Vikram had started rummaging through his closet. He had to look the best. He had the urge to do so. He wanted to impress her. 

His mother entered the room and looked at him. A smile appeared on her face. She moved forward to help her son. "You are twenty seven and still can't find an outfit for yourself. I pity Priya," she chuckled.

"Priya is not my girlfriend, Mom," said Vikram. His mother smiled and said, "Yes. I know. And I also know that you are falling for her." Vikram looked at her mother amazed. He asked, "How do you always know?" Smiling at her son, Aneeta replied, "Because I am your mother. Despite everything." Both mother and son look at each other with pain and love in their eyes. Aneeta leaves the room. 

Vikram gets ready. He makes an extra effort to look good. He looks at himself. Black was his colour. He, himself, drove to Priya's house.

 He, himself, drove to Priya's house

Priya's house

Parking his car, Vikram got down the car and rang the doorbell. The door was opened by a middle aged lady. "Ah! You must be Vikram. Come in. I am Priya's mother, Rekha Kapoor," said the lady. Vikram took her blessings and entered the house. It was a simple house. The walls were decorated, not by expensive paintings, but by family photographs. He smiled looking at the photograph of a younger Priya. 

He was greeted by a middle aged man, who was Priya's father(Raghav Kapoor). Vikram took his blessings and then came in Priya, looking as beautiful as ever.

 Vikram took his blessings and then came in Priya, looking as beautiful as ever

"She looks beautiful in both, Indian and western wears," thought Vikram. They bid bye to Priya's parents and left the place. 

In the car

There was a silence in the car. Both did not know what to say. Then Priya spoke, "Where are we heading to? I mean which restaurant?" Vikram laughed. "I own a hotel group, Priya. I won't take you to another restaurant, of course. And if I do, tomorrow's newspaper will have the headlines, "Vikram Khanna spotted with a girl in bla bla restaurant. Who was she?" You surely don't want that. Do you? I am taking you to Khanna Hotel itself. At least, there won't be any paparazzi."

Priya laughed. Of course, going out with The Vikram Khanna was a big risk. But somehow, her heart didn't mind it. She was ready to take the risk.

The Khanna Hotel

Vikram led Priya into the hotel. He led her to the lift and they went to top floor, which was reserved for the owners of the hotel. Vikram led Priya to a room.

The room was brightly lit. A small table lay in the center with two chairs. They sat down opposite to each other. An attendant took their order and soon they were enjoying delicious meal and talking to their heart's content. 

Vikram did not want the day to end. He was enjoying himself in Priya's company. He felt happy with her. On the other hand, Priya was also enjoying his company but her feelings were not as intense as Vikram. Or maybe her fear overpowered her feelings.....

_________________________

So, how is it?

What is Priya's fear?

Could nobody guess the coincidence in the last chapter? Chapter 5 of Love Always Wins was also named "They Meet" and in both the stories, this is the chapter in which the protagonists are properly introduced to each other.

~Purnima