This Isn't Real

Emaline was home alone.
Kate was with Luke, dealing with the company they were to rent costumes from.
Sherry was on an international flight.
Ken was at work.
So Emaline was alone.

She sat on the couch watching Win, Lose, or Draw! on Disney Channel, but was interrupted by a sharp knock on the door. She rose to her feet and walked to the entrance of the house.
When she opened the door, Oliver was towering over her.
"You wanna tell me why you're dating a f*cking girl?"
"Oliver, you're drunk."
"Answer the question!" He roared, "Tell me why the f*ck you're dating Kate Messner."
"Because I love her."
The back of his hand swiftly met Emaline's cheek with a loud clap. She looked up at him, horrified. There was genuine fear in her eyes, which was startling to Oliver. He didn't let it phase him, though. His fingers closed around a strand of her hair, and he yanked it downwards. Her head immediately followed, and tears began to leave her eyes.
"Why are you doing this?" She said, her hands holding the roots of her hair and struggling against his pull.
"Because it's disgusting, Emaline. Maybe I can't get you to come back to New York with me, but at least I can break you two up. It's wrong."
"And what you're doing is right?"
His grip around the blonde hair intensified. "Listen, I'm going easy on you right now because we have history. However, Kate doesn't have that advantage. You're going to do exactly as I say, or else I will go after her. Do you understand me?" He demanded.
Through teary eyes, Emaline nodded. He released her hair, and she met his gaze.
She thought of all she knew about Oliver Schermerhorn, and it clicked. His father was an alcoholic. She recalled him saying that his dad used to get very violent when he was younger. He would lash out, and hit his wife, Oliver, and his older son when things got bad. He had talked about it once before when he was absolutely wasted, and probably didn't even remember telling her. It didn't excuse what he was doing to her, but it helped explain it. They got in her car and he began to drive. Emaline was terrified; he was very clearly intoxicated, and was driving way faster than the speed limit. She couldn't even believe she was in this mess to begin with.
"We've gotta get the old Emaline back. Any idea where she went?"
"She hopped a bus with Oliver to New York City back in 11th grade," she hissed through clenched teeth.
"Don't try me, Addario," he sighed, but slowly a smirk crept onto his face, "Hey... do you remember when we used to throw big parties at your house?"
"Yeah?"
"Get the booze out, Em. We're throwing a rager."

...

Kate and Luke got home before their parents. It was about 6:30.
"Yo, Emaline! You'll never guess what Kate picked for you to wear in this one scene," Luke was practically cackling, "Your tits are gonna be, like, all the way out." Kate smacked his arm as they walked into the living room. The TV was on, and set to Disney (which was Emaline's favorite channel), but she was nowhere to be seen.
"Huh," Luke said, "That's weird."
"Emaline!" Kate called out, "Are you here?"
Luke looked out the front window, "Her car isn't in the driveway."
They both jumped at a loud ring from the phone. Luke ran to it, and picked up the call.
"Hey, Tyler! What's up-... Woah, woah. Slow down... What? He did WHAT? ... Do you know when it is?... Of course we're coming... Okay. I'm going to tell Kate-... obviously I have to tell Kate! This isn't the kind of thing you just 'don't tell her' about... See you there."
Luke hung up the phone with a click and slowly turned around to face the brunette. She had never been more stressed and anxious in her life, "What is it Luke? What did he say?"
"Tyler told Oliver about you and Emaline. He got really angry and drunk, and he came here. Tyler just got a call from him saying he was with Emaline, and they're throwing a party at her house tonight. Half the school is invited."
Kate's eyes widened and her jaw dropped, "What!? Oh my God, when is it?" She was frantic.
"In an hour. Don't worry Kate; once she sees that we're there for her, she'll come back with us. What's the worst that could happen?

...

They approached the mansion with dread. Music blasted so loudly from within that the ground itself shook. Luke didn't even bother to knock, he opened the door and they entered.
Inside, the house was packed wall to wall with people; smoking, drinking, making out, or just socializing. Kate pushed past a few people, until she saw a familiar face.
"Scott!" She grabbed his arm and turned him around. His movement was sloppy, and he reeked of beer.
"Yeah?" He slurred.
"Have you seen Emaline?"
"Not the one you're thinking of," He laughed, "Bitch has lost her damn mind." He took a step towards Kate but lost his balance and grabbed onto her forearms for support, "Hey, Messner. You're pretty hot. Anyone ever tell you that?" He chuckled, but suddenly his eyes widened and he threw up on her shoe. "Ugh! Scott, get off of me!" She pulled out of his grip and turned to face Luke.
"Well that's probably the grossest thing that's ever happened to me. I swear, if these shoes smell like vomit forever, I'll know who to blame-" She stopped when she saw the boy looking past her shoulder, wide-eyed. "Luke? What are you staring at?" She turned around, and couldn't believe her eyes.
Emaline was coming down the stairs with a drink in her hand, but was hardly recognizable. They hadn't seen this version of her in a long time.
Her hair was curly, eyeshadow black, and lips a crimson red. She wore a lacy white top that plunged dangerously low, revealing her cleavage. Her skirt was short and black, and was accompanied by fishnets. She met Kate's eyes for a moment, but immediately avoided her gaze. She walked into the living room and took a seat on Oliver's lap. He handed her a beer and a knife, and she cut it open like a pro. Someone began to chant "Chug! Chug!" and soon the whole house joined in. She shotgunned the entire thing and beamed proudly, raising her fists above her head in triumph as people clapped for her.
Kate was at a loss for words. She felt Luke grab her hand and vaguely heard him whisper, "Don't worry. This isn't real. We'll figure this out."

...

Oliver handed her the knife and beer, and watched her drink the whole thing in admiration. He had trained her well.
He scanned the crowed, and there she was. He knew Kate would come. He had specifically told Emaline not to make eye contact, and to act like her old self. He knew she wouldn't do it sober, so he got her drunk as fast as possible.
He locked eyes with Kate, and raised a challenging eyebrow. He then grabbed Emaline's face and turned it towards his own. Her cheeks were rosy from the alcohol, and her blue eyes were incredibly vibrant.
"Kiss me," he said as quietly as possible.
"Oliver-" She started but silently yelped when he gave her inner thigh a sharp pinch. She put her hands on his shoulders and swung a leg over his lap to straddle him. She pressed her lips to his, and the crowd cheered in approval. Her kisses were heated and desperate, and she moved her body in time with his. Though Oliver didn't notice it, a tear escaped her eye.
Kate watched from across the room, and felt like it was the first day of sophomore year all over again. She turned and quickly made her way to the door. "Kate!" Luke called after her, "Stop! Something isn't right here. This isn't her!" Kate spun around, "Luke! This isn't one of your stupid movies! This is real life; people get drunk and hook up with their exes." She wiped the tears from her face. "I... I need to go home."
"Kate-"
"You can stay here and 'solve the case' if you want, but I'm telling you. There is no case to solve. This is reality. And I'm going home."