9

"Did anyone see what was on the door?" I called out into the house, hoping someone would here me and answer as I took out my phone, trying to call Fiona.

"Woah, shit. What happened to you?" Carl asked a smug smirk on his face as he did.

"Fuck," I  muttered, throwing my phone over on the coach in frustration. It was soaked from the rain. I continued into the kitchen, ripping off my coat and throwing it onto a chair as I walked into the kitchen.

"Has anyone talked or seen Fiona today?" I hollered out, desperation in my voice as I did.

"No, why?" Debbie asked, walking down the stairs.

"Shit." I cursed , looking around for any phone.

"What's wrong ma?" Carl asked sitting down at the counter with Nick next to him.

"The fucking eviction sign taped up on our front door right now is probably the most evident reason there's something wrong with me." I let out a heavy and frustrated sigh, running my hands through my half wet and half dry hair still sat in a moppy bun.

"Wait, what?" Debbie and Carl both asked, facing me.

"Yeah and I can't call Fiona or Lex because my phone's fucked up from the rain, so can I please use somebody's phone?" I said, my voice raising as I did.

"Woah, calm down mama. We're gonna be fine." Carl coo'd, coming around the counter to rub my back.

"I'm sorry, I've just had literally one of the most shittiest days of my life and getting kicked out of the house really isn't helping." I told him all at once, my voice fading at my loss for breath.

"Aight, breathe Janie. Okay?" He said soothingly, his hand still rubbing up and down my back. I let out a deep breath and gave him a reassuring smile before turning to Debbie.

"Can I use your phone to call Fi?" I asked causing her to groan as she put the phone down on the counter. "Thanks,"

By 6 o'clock I had left Fiona 15 voice mails, called her just as many times, and texted her at least a dozen. But she still wouldn't pick up.

At 7:30 Fi still wasn't home. Alexia did return though. She tried ringing her from her phone and after giving up we tried fixing my phone.

"I'm sorry Janie, it's pointless. The water got into its battery and system. We'll get you a new one when I can afford it." Alexia sighed, dropping the phone carelessly on the coffee table. I sat back and slouched into the couch.

"Psst!" My head turned to the kitchen where Carl stood. When he saw me looking, he peaked a couple of beers and a joint from behind his back out. I pursed my lips trying to a hide a smile while I shook my head. I stood up from the sofa and followed him out of the house and into the yard. We sat on the steps for a few minutes quietly, just drinking and passing the joint between each other.

"I'll buy you a new phone, shortcake," Carl spoke out of nowhere, "Just so you don't have to wait around. I know you guys are saving up so."

"Thanks," I half smiled.

"Now, you ready to tell me about your so awful day?" He asked. I shook my head laughing, causing a smile to tug at the corner of his lips. I looked over at him smiling.

We spent the next half hour talk about my shitty day and laughing at the things I said during the small argument I had with Ms. Jenson, my last period teacher. That's when the door opened to a very distraught Debbie.

"Hey De-" I began, turning around to look at her when she cut me off.

"Both of you need to get inside, now!" She said, running back into the house. Carl and I looked at each other confusingly, before standing and following inside.

"No! No you can't take her!"

As soon as we walked through the door I could hear Alexia yelling.

"Lex.. what's going on?" I asked, entering the living room to see her with Tony and another fellow cop.

"We need to talk Jane." Tony said with a serious tone.

"I-I didn't do anything." I told him quickly, looking back at Carl who looked confused.

"We know you didn't. But, we have to talk."

-----------

I sat in the police car, silent tears falling down my face as Alexia reassured me through the thick glass of the car's window that I'd be okay.

"We'll get you back. You won't be there long." She said over and over again. Tony entered the car, his partner sitting in the passenger seat. I looked past her as the car's engine revved and soon we were taking off. I slightly smiled at Carl who looked angry but calm, sitting on the steps with Debbie and Ian.

"We're just taking you to the station til morning, then you'll get picked up and your social worker will take you to your foster home." Tony informed me, "You ever been through this before?"

"Uh, yeah," I responded, wiping my tears as I sniffled, "when Alexia and I were younger we usually got placed somewhere when something went down at home. But we were  always together."

He didn't say anything after that. I'm sure there wasn't much you could say to a kid getting dragged off to a foster home.