Chapter 14: The last day of summer

''Come on.. Izzy..pick up...''

I paced around the bedroom, dialling Isabella's number for the 5th time this morning.

''Maybe she's sick.''

Ferb looked up from his 3Ds.

''You.. think so?''

''Hi, this is Isabella. I am currently unable to pick up your call at this moment. Leave a voice message at the end. Bye! *Beep*''

''That's what happened when Gretchen was sick. She never returned any phone calls or text messages that I sent her.''

''Ferb, I know what I am going to do today.''

''Yes. Yes, you do.''

''Hey, where's Perry?''

Perry chattered from the side of my bed.

''There you are, boy. No missions?''

Perry shook his head.

''Ok then, I'll see you later.''

Leaving the room, I walked out the front door.

''I'll call you back, Stacy. Woah, just think where you are going?'' Candace eyed me from the couch.

''Just heading over to Isabella's''

''Wait, so you're not going to do one of your crazy inventions?''

''Later, if there is still time.''

''Ok..?''

''Bye Candace'' I waved to Candace and crossed the street to my neighbour, the girl across the street, or that's what Ferb used to call her.

Pressing the doorbell, I waited.

And waited.

And waited.

And waited.

The door clicked, and Isabella's mum answered the door.

''There you are, Phineas, how have you been? Look, you've grown so tall!''

''Er, it's just been 3 weeks, Mrs Garcia Shapiro''

A coughing noise caught my attention, followed by a weak voice.

''Mum, is that Phineas?''

''Yes, dear. Oh, come in.''

I kicked off my shoes and entered the house.

Everything seemed pretty normal, the house had the usual purple walls and carpet, until my eyes landed at the sofa.

Isabella lay on the sofa, in her pyjamas, with a grey bow at the top of her hair.

''Izzy, you ok?''

She coughed and smiled.

''Not until you appeared.''

''Have you eaten your breakfast?''

''No, Isa is so cooped up with her sickness, she refuse to eat anything'' Isabella's mum looked worriedly.

''Izzy, you have to eat something.''

''I.. don't have the appetite to eat anything.'' she coughed violently and took in a deep breath.

''How about chicken soup?''

''Sounds good..'' she closed her eyes.

''I have prepared some chicken soup in the kitchen, you can give her some.'' Isabella's mum began folding the clothes stacked up next to her.