Pay attention to the signs

Harry POV:

I was absentmindedly fiddling my thumbs, bored with the many stacks of paperwork growing on my desk. Luckily for me the growing stacks represented the finished workload. I had the unpleasant assignment to write out traffic tickets for people who were stupid enough to be caught on camera.

I had to process the licence plates through our computer's database to get the correct information to fill in the blanks on the traffic ticket. You wouldn't believe how many people were dumb enough to neglect the traffic laws. Seriously the many finished stacks were proof to how many people actually didn't follow the law.

In the beginning my eyes fell widely open in shock of just how many people got tickets, and that was only in the district of Miami.

I kept on repeatedly checking the clock on the white across my desk, but the clock hands wouldn't freaking budge. Time was going agonizingly slow, torturing me each and every time I saw that those clock hands hadn't even moved for minute. Really, I even began to think the clock was broken, because there was absolutely no way that time moved this agonizingly slow.

It was however, even the watch on my phone showed the same snail's pace. The ticking sound of the clock was mocking me, because it seemed to tick faster than the time really ticked by. It gave me a false sense of hope.

I was also mentally scolding myself out for walking out on my guarding task on the student welcome festival a few weeks ago. I ran from my post to get to Camila, who was apparently in trouble. My mind fogged over, completely clouding my judgement, when Dinah sounded so distressed on the phone. It was that lapse of judgement that got me in this boring situation of doing the most dull and brainless job here in the force. My partner didn't rat me out, but I had to make a deal with him. He wasn't going to call it in if I took over his paperwork shifts combined with my own for 4 months.

My partner was the only one reeking the benefits here, as he was smirking my way in a mocking fashion while he was calmly reading a book. I wanted to wipe away that stupid smirk, but on the other hand I didn't. I admired his fast thinking that night, and I respected the deal he made with me. I would've done the same thing, if I were in his shoes. Also, if I didn't have this deal, my punishment would've been more severe than just paperwork, so in a way I was thankful for this instead.

He might be getting the benefits for not having to do this tedious obligation, but he did cover for me, so I owed him immensely. I might have judged him too harshly in the beginning when I viewed him as a bootlicker, who would always try to kiss up to the man in charge by doing everything by the book. It turned out he could turn a blind eye for the rules and legislation when it opposed his moral compass.

He showed his willingness to look the other way a few months ago, when he covered for me. I was grateful that he intervened in my impulsiveness, because I would've gotten in a ton of trouble if word came out of my instinctive stupidity. I was still in my trail probation, while he was already an established officer of the law, so in a way he was my superior. This stupid act of heroism could've cost me my job, if he wasn't there to clean up my mess. He made sure that my impulsivity was justified by simply calling it in the way he saw fit.

I would take the same course of action in a heartbeat, though. Especially if it involved Camila. That girl was as close as family to me, and those members were scarce for me. I only had my mother and her, my so called little sister, to take care of now. Of course Dinah could count as the annoying sister, who's sole purpose was to make my live a living hell. She might've been able to drive me up the walls sometimes, but in the end I did care for her too (don't ever tell her that though).