The Package

A sad story indeed. That of Ned Fulmer.

Eugene received a package, the same day Ned had received his letter. It all came the same way. A gentle knocking at the door that made Eugene dash for it. When he opened his front door, no one stood in front of his. Instead, a package stood upon his front step. The same front step from which Ned had first asked to stay and where Keith's body was found.

Eugene studied the package. No stamp. No address. No return address. Before even opening it, he called Shane and Ryan. Both Shane and Ryan appeared at Eugene's front door within minutes.

"So you haven't opened it?" Shane asked.

"No. I didn't even want to touch it." Eugene said.

"Well, were here now. Let's just get it done and over with." Ryan said.

They all looked back at the box on the counter. All imagining what could be inside. Finally, Eugene peeled off the tape. He took a breath before unfolding the cardboard. There inside, laid two bloody hands. Underneath was another note.

"Oh My God!" Eugene yelled, horrified.

"We need backup." Ryan said into his walky talky. His voice was shaking.

Shane stood speechless as his eyes never left the box.

"Get the note." Ryan demanded.

"Eugene gently reached inside, avoiding any contact with the hands, and grabbed the piece of paper.

"What does it say?" Shane asked after Eugene's eyes had scanned it.

"It's Ned." He let out a breath.

"What?" Ryan asked, snatching the paper.

I'm sorry.

Eugene, it shouldn't have been this way. Ned knew what he did was wrong. And he can't have you. The fact that his hands even touched you disturbed me. I lost sleep over it. So, even in death I couldn't let him keep the very flesh that has touched you.

"Eugene..." Shane said, placing a hand on his shoulder after reading the note over Ryan.