Chapter III: Team STTRQ (Freshman Year)

Author's Note: Team STTRQ: Summer, Taiyang, Taijitu (your field name), Raven, and Qrow. A five-man team.

8 Years Ago:

Freshman Year: September

Reader's POV:

If you had to say anything about Beacon Academy, it would be that they don't mess around. Immediately following the welcoming address, all new initiates were launches into a nearby forest where they were to survive overnight. The entire area was under surveillance, and any student that could survive the night without assistance from the staff was accepted into the school. Teams were created by combining initiates of similar strength and skill. The point of this being to allow more advanced teams to enroll in higher level classes without hindrance from their teammates. Though specific rankings were never given, your team was the only team taking all advanced classes.

You were on a team with your best friend, Taiyang, and led by your crush, Summer Rose. The other members of your team included the girl Tai was gawking at during initiation, Raven Branwen, and her twin brother, Qrow. Being on the same team with the girl of your dreams made you nervous, it made Tai excited. He couldn't wait to put the moves on Raven, as well as set you up with Summer.

Following initiation, Freshmen were given the rest of the day off to socialize, familiarize themselves with the campus, and to set up their dormitories. It only made you more nervous to discover that you would also be sharing a room with Summer. Being the only five-man team however, Headmaster Ozpin saw it fit to give team STTRQ a larger room. Instead of the traditional four-person dorm room, there were two smaller rooms connected by an empty doorframe. The guys would sleep in one room, the ladies in the other. You hung a curtain to provide some privacy, much to Tai's dismay.

Though Raven and Qrow weren't eager to socialize, Summer took it upon herself as leader to force an evening of team bonding before classes started the next day. Therefore, she ordered everyone to bring their bedding into one room for a slumber party. That evening you learned a little bit more about everyone, their weapons and semblances. The twins however seemed reluctant to discuss their past. The entire evening Tai was flirting with Raven, pulling out every move, trick, and pickup line he had. She seemed unphased by his actions however, something that caused you to laugh, which in turn caused Tai to throw his pillow at your face.

Freshmen Year: December

Three months into the school year and Tai had already worked his way through four different girlfriends and was currently on his fifth. A lot of his relationships ended because it was obvious to everyone that he was interested in Raven, and this one was no different.

"Hey Tai?" You ask the evening of the breakup.

"Sup?" He asked.

"Have you ever considered just asking Raven on a date?"

"Pfft, nah man, that's ridiculous." He laughs.

"How so?"

"Haven't I taught you anything?" He sighs. "You never tell a girl you like her, it makes you look stupid."

You pause for a moment in stunned silence. "How have you ever managed to get a date with that type of attitude?"

"Look (F/N), it's not about telling the girl you like her. It's all about getting her to realize she likes you."

You laugh at your friend's logic. "Well, I think you should just tell her."

"Sure, right." He says. "Just as soon as you tell Summer."