Turning Tides

Outside the South Portland Precinct, a woman sitting in a grey SUV was surveying the personnel entering and exiting the building. She was 5'9", had dark hair that she frequented from different shades of black, brown, & red, and startling blue eyes, and was completely dressed in black; she wore black boots, jeans, a blouse, a trench coat, and sunglasses. She had two targets in that building, one was meant to be eliminated while the other was meant to be recruited. The former had killed one of her own kind just to try keep the latter under his influence and the second target was unaware of the true threats the first posed.

The first target was entering the building, his name was Captain Sean Renard, the exiled bastard prince of the House of Kronenberg. She knew all about Renard, which meant she knew that he was on no one's side and only wanted to look after himself while securing his own power and means. Renard was a threat to others, he would betray his friends and feel little remorse. She had to be careful with him, it was his nature to be deceitful and wicked, not only as a Royal but as a Zauberbiest as well. He needed to go down with the rest of the Royals.

Just then her second target was approaching the building, Detective Nicholas Burkhardt, the Grimm of Portland. Unlike most Grimms, Burkhardt wasn't one to kill on sight instead he was more prone to detain and arrest. This made him ideal for recruitment into the very society she had pledged her loyalties to. She knew Nick personally which made her ideal for the mission, for years she had kept key aspects of her life a secret from him despite the bond they shared, this led to a strain on the connection they had before it actually manifested. When she heard about his ascension as a Grimm she was ecstatic, now she could look him in the eyes and be herself; no more hiding.

...

Nick was looking through cases that he had solved prior to the discovery of his abilities as a Grimm, he wanted to be sure that his previous investigations were correct and that the right people were arrested. He also needed things to take his mind off of the problems of his personal life, so far it was only half working. He had gotten word that a criminal investigations specialist was coming in to work with him, the investigator specifically requested to work with Nick. Apparently, he was considered one of the best in the city, the agent was a member of a new law enforcement division constructed by the Department of Justice, Homeland Security and the State Department: the Bureau of Criminal Investigations and Law Enforcement Special Operations, the CILESO or simply Ops. He would be working with them for an interim period and he was to start in a few hours.

The agent working on the investigation had arranged to meet him in the precinct in a short while. Nick was familiar with the organization, between the end of his time as an officer and the beginning of his career as a detective he had been offered a job as a specialist with them. He had turned the offer down in favor of staying in Portland for personal reasons as the job required him to go mobile semi-frequently. Nick hadn't thought about it until he was told that they wanted his help with a case.

He wasn't sure at first but when he realized the distraction it posed he accepted the request in a heartbeat. He needed to stop thinking about Wesen, Juliette's memory loss, and to take a break from being a Grimm. This was a standard criminal investigation that he was asked to assist with, what were the odds of it being Wesen related?

...

Sean Renard had a suspicion that didn't sit well with him, Nick Burkhardt was asked to assist in a case led by a national law enforcement bureau. He was aware that the Grimm was a talented detective, but he didn't understand why they specifically requested him. This was a high ranking government organization and as far as they were concerned Burkhardt was a standard police detective. Renard tried to get the details of the investigation but they wouldn't give him an answer.

He was aware that they tried to recruit the detective before and had a feeling that they'd try to do so again, he couldn't let that happen as he'd lose the little influence he had over the best weapon against the Royals.

The captain was snapped out of his thoughts immediately, he had gotten an anonymous email. It wasn't from his contacts from inside the family. It was short and simple, despite this the royal bastard was shellshocked by the message.

Power can be yours in exchange for the Grimm.