First Date Butterflies

Sunday 5:45 pm. I nervously studied my reflection in the cherry colored, oval shaped, cheval mirror in the corner of my room, that once belonged to my great grandmother. My stomach was currently in heavy knots,  doing flip flops and I started to feel a little nauseated. Normally confidence is not something I lack. Being a cheerleader from the age of 6 all the way into college was a huge self-esteem booster for me. Knowing Chris would be here any minute for our first real date had left me a little insecure. Ok A LOT insecure.

"Hellllooooo gorgeous!" Kirsten walked into my bedroom flopping down on my bed. "I think I want to date you." She whistled.

I laughed shaking my head. "You don't think it's too much?" I met her eyes through the mirror. I had chosen a floral drawstring romper that stopped mid-thigh showing off my legs. I paired the romper with some casual sandals, topping off the outfit with a couple bangle bracelets and a simple gold necklace. My hair had been curled and now fell into soft waves skimming my shoulders. My makeup was a little more on the dramatic side with a sultry, purple, smokey eye and classic, kohl black eyeliner smudged across my lower lash line, the look completed with a pink nude color on my lips. My left ear has a triple helix piercing along with my tragus and my right ear has the daith and industrial, which are usually the only earrings I wear. But since it was a special occasion I slipped on some gold hoops.

"No, I think he's going to have to pick his jaw up from the ground." Kirsten laid back on my bed.

"Good." I tousled my hair, "That's what I'm going for."

"What time is he supposed to be here?"

"6." I pressed my lips together and adjusted the strap on my romper.

"Ok I guess I should go. I'm nervous for you." She said excitedly. "Do you think you guys will have sex?"

"No! Kirsten!" I spun around shocked.

"What?" She gave me a look, "You've had 10 years of foreplay."

I had to laugh sitting down on the bed next to her. "I wouldn't call it foreplay exactly."

"What do you call it?"

"I don't know. Ughhhh!" I groaned, "I'm so nervous. Don't leave yet."

"You want me to be here when he arrives?" Kirsten looked unsure.

"No I guess not." I sighed, "Come on." I huffed standing back up. I reached out grabbing Kirsten's hand pulling her up next to me.

"Call me as soon as you get home. I want every last dirty detail." Kirsten said as we walked to the front door.

I swung open the door to let Kirsten out and was surprised to see Chris standing there, his arm raised about to knock.

"Hi." My mouth curved into a smile.

"Hi." His eyes looked me over, "Damn." He whispered just loud enough for us to hear.

"Excuse me." Kirsten pushed past me, "Have fun kids." She blew a kiss and was gone.

"Bree you are gorgeous." Chris said once it was just the 2 of us.

"Thanks." I replied shyly trying not to blush. "You look very handsome."

And oh Sweet Lord, did he! How can plain khaki pants and a blue plaid shirt look so appealing? He had the sleeves rolled up to his fore arms and a white shirt poking out from underneath. So simple and yet on Chris, my mouth was watering.

"I'm just going to grab my purse and then we can go." I closed the door partially leaning back to grab my purse from where it hung on the coat rack. I locked the door and pulled it shut behind me.

"Wait." Chris stopped me. He leaned forward just a little, pausing to smile at me and then very gently brushed his lips across mine. Swoon! He tasted like cinnamon and I tried to savor it as long as possible before he pulled away.

"I thought the kiss came at the end of the date." I pulled my lower lip in between my teeth.

"I couldn't wait that long." He kissed me one more time before grabbing my hand and intertwining our fingers.

"Where are we going for our first official date?" I asked swinging our hands back and forth.

"Wayside Inn." He glanced at me for approval.

"That sounds perfect. I haven't been there in ages."

"Good." He stopped me on the last step of my front porch. Hopping down to the ground he turned to face me, putting us at almost the same height. "Can I just say how excited I am to be going out with you?"

"Stop." I squeezed his hand, "You're really trying to make me blush, aren't you?"

"No." He said sincerely. "I'm honestly thrilled to be going out with you. I think about you a lot." He turned gently pulling me from the step to follow him to the car.

"I'm glad you asked me out." I picked up my pace to catch up with him.

"Wait here." He stopped me for the 3rd time that evening. "Actually, close your eyes."

"Are you serious?"

"Always." He winked. I stared at him for a second before conceding and shutting my eyes. I heard the car door open and some shuffling and then I could feel him standing back in front of me.

"Ok. Open."

I opened my eyes and had to gasp. Chris had the most beautiful bouquet of white roses surrounded delicately by lavender.

"Oh Chris. They're beautiful." I gushed taking them from him.

"I would have brought them to the door but I saw Kirsten's car here and I wanted to give them to you when it was just us."

"You are so cute." I grinned. "And I love them. What a diamond in the rough you are."

"You have no idea." He flashed me a lopsided grin, grabbing my hand he squeezed it gently before bringing it to his mouth to kiss it softly.