Reindeer Games

"I cannot eat another bite." I pushed my plate of half eaten pumpkin pie away from me.

"Oh well in that case." Chris slid the plate towards him and in 2 big bites finished my pie. I smiled at him as he winked at me. We were sitting at the dining room table in the country kitchen of my grandparents 3 story colonial farmhouse. Today this home was almost a million-dollar home,  my grandparents have lived there since they were married over 50 years ago. They've renovated it, added to it and made it the most beautiful home in Newbury (in my bias opinion!)

"This pie is amazing." Chris wiped his mouth with a napkin.

"Thank you." My Gran took the dirty plate but Chris stopped her.

"Let me." He pushed his chair back and hopped up to rinse the plate before sticking it in the dishwasher.

"Are you going shopping with us tonight Chris?" My cousin Hallie asked with an amused grin.

"Uhhhh no, I think I'll pass on that. But you guys have fun." He sat back down at the table with us.

"Smart man." Hallie's brother Ryder grinned. "They all have this huge sleepover in the living room when they get back at like 2 am. They used to get up at like 3 am to go out in the bitter cold to shop before they started opening on Thanksgiving. They're all nuts."

"You weren't saying that when you got that Eddie Bauer jacket last year." I rolled my eyes.

"That jacket is still my favorite gift ever. Thank you cuz." Ryder kissed the top of my head before helping himself to another piece of pumpkin pie.

I laughed. "It's worth it. But I promise you we will be quiet when we come in and I will let you sleep. You're going to have to let me sleep on the way home tomorrow though." I said to Chris.

"Oh we already have plans for tomorrow night. So you better catch up on your sleep." He replied.

"I'm scared to ask." I leaned back in my chair.

"Gran, I'm gonna pull the blankets down so we don't have to make the beds when we get back." My cousin Sydney walked into the kitchen.

"Is it that late already?" Gran checked the clock on the oven.

"It's 4:30." Sydney's younger sister Addison followed in behind Sydney and grabbed a cookie from the plate on the counter. "We're going to have to leave soon." She took a bite.

"Wait, where's Chris gonna sleep?" Hallie asked.

Chris raised an eyebrow and looked at me.

"We usually sleep on the sectional." I explained grabbing a cookie, "2 on the sectional and 2 on the floor in front of the fire place." I grabbed a cookie.

"You and Chris take the sectional." Sydney suggested. "Me, Hal and Addy can take the floor."

"That's a good idea." Gran agreed. "Your parents are in one of the guest rooms Breelan and your aunts are in the other 2."

"Everyone spends the night?" Chris asked.

"Just my aunts so we can all ride together and come back here. We're usually exhausted when we get back." I explained.

Chris exchanged a look with Sydney's boyfriend Mike.

"Welcome to the crazy house." Mike laughed.

We left 45 minutes later. I left Chris with Ryder, Mike, my dad, uncles and Pop watching football. I smiled as we walked out the door watching Chris laid back and relaxed fitting in perfect with my family.

We got home around 11 pm and even though it wasn't that late we were all really tired from the day and all the shopping. I did my best not to wake Chris up as I slid into my side of the sectional but he reached up and gently rubbed my cheek with his thumb before falling right back to sleep.

The next morning we had a quick breakfast and then left to go back to Sudbury.

"What time do we need to go to your mom's?" I yawned as we pulled into my driveway.

"5-ish." Chris shrugged, "Why?"

"I kind of want to take a nap." I laughed.

"We can take a nap." He gave me a sly smile.

"Except you're not talking about a nap."

"Of course I am. If something else happens though...." He shrugged.

We did manage to sneak a quick nap in and went back over to his mom's house for dinner and game night.

Scott answered the door with Stella right behind him. She was so excited we were back grabbing our hands pulling us into the living room. "Uncle Scott bought you something!"

Chris looked at Scott, "You bought me something?"

"You and Breelan something." He smiled.

"I'm scared." I winced.

"You'll love it!!" Stella jumped up and down excitedly.

"One for you." Scott handed me a gift bag. "And one for you." He tossed one to Chris.

I slowly stuck my hand in the bag and pulled out my very own onesie. I looked over at Chris who also had his one onesie. Mine was a super cute reindeer. I burst out laughing when I saw Chris's was an elf.

"I told you that you had one. Now you have to go put them on in order to eat dinner and play games." Scott instructed.

"No way." Chris shook his head. "I'm not wearing this."

"You have to Uncle Chris." Stella pleaded with huge puppy dog eyes and her lower lip out.

Chris sighed. "Did he put you up to this?" He pointed towards Scott.

"No." She shook her head innocently.

"Well ok but only for you." He conceded.

Stella turned around with a satisfied grin on her face. As she walked past Scott she slapped him a low five.

"I saw that!" Chris called.

I laughed, "Come on. I bet you make a sexy elf." I tugged on the onesie in his hands. "Maybe we can play some reindeer games?" I gave him a seductive smile.

"Eww." Scott gave me a disgusted look causing me to laugh again.

"We will go change and be down in 5." I promised.

We didn't make it back to my house until after midnight and my stomach and heart were both full. Never had I had such a fun Thanksgiving. Between my family and Chris's, I was happier than I was sure I ever had been before.

But isn't that when things usually start to fall apart?