It's A Damn Cold Night!

Mid-March brought lots of cold rain. It had been 3 months since Chris and I had broken up. 3 months since I had even spoken to him. I would be lying if I said that it wasn't the harshest winter I had been through. There had been more than one occasion that I had almost called Chris begging him to come back to me. But I never once gave in. How humiliating it would be. He didn't even give me another seconds thought.

Kirsten had convinced me to come out with her and Nate one Friday night. It was the first night in months that I was up to going out. We went to the Sleeping Moon and after a few drinks I was having a fantastic evening.

After we had been there for an hour or so Zach walked in. I called his name with a smile and waved him over to join us.

Maybe it's the beer but Zach looked really hot, hotter than usual. Tall, dark jet-black hair, deep brown eyes. And these dimples that could drive any woman crazy. What was I doing wasting time pining over Chris who clearly had moved on from me. Zach was safe, Zach was local. Zach wouldn't hurt me. Zach wouldn't leave me.

"Hey beautiful." He leaned down giving me a big hug giving me an extra squeeze before releasing me but keeping his hand on my hip.

"Hi. Want to join us?" I asked.

"Absolutely." He nodded pulling back the chair next to mine.

For the first time since Chris had left I was genuinely enjoying myself. Laughing, drinking, playing trivia, singing along to the music blasting from the speakers throughout the bar.

Aerosmith's 80's classic Angel came on and Kirsten and I jumped up to sing along at the top of our lungs. I laughed as I serenaded Zach and he pulled me down onto his lap.

"Baby, you're my angel! Come and save me tonight." I crooned. Kirsten suddenly stopped singing and laughing. She nodded her head towards the door with wide eyes.

I shifted from where I sat in Zach's lap, my arm comfortably around his neck, to see what had made Kirsten freeze. My heart dropped to my stomach when I saw Chris at the front door. His eyes immediately found mine and he raised an eyebrow.

"You've got to be kidding me." I muttered under my breath. I pushed myself up from Zach's lap and thanks to the liquid courage I stormed up to Chris. My heart started to flutter as I took in the sight of him. A deep blue hoodie causing his eyes to stand out in a startling way. A black baseball hat flipped around backwards made him look like a college kid. I swallowed before I opened my mouth, but he spoke first.

"Hi."

"Why are you here?" I demanded, my eyes searched his.

"Can we talk outside?" His eyes flashed behind me where Kirsten, Nate and Zach were all watching us carefully.

"I don't think so." I shook my head, "I don't have anything to say to you."

"Well I have something to say to you. Please Bree." His face was pleading.

"Fine. Let me grab my coat." I walked back over to my table to get my jacket.

"Bree." Kirsten started.

I shook my head, "It's fine I'll be right back."

Kirsten looked unsure, but I shrugged it off. I slipped my jacket on and followed Chris out front.

He stopped and turned to look at me. I pulled my jacket tighter around me. The March air had a bitter chill to it.

"So you're with him now?" Chris asked, his eyes bore in to me.

"No, I'm not. But even if I was that's none of your business." I snapped.

"Bree I.....I screwed up." He sighed. He shifted his weight nervously flipping his hat forward.

I didn't say anything for a moment. "Why are you here?" I repeated.

"I wanted to see you. I miss you so much. I can't stop thinking about you." He admitted.

"You haven't said a word to me since you broke up with me."

"I know. I was stupid. I over reacted, and I was hurt. I've asked Scott how you're doing."

"Scott's not even here, he's in LA to. So how would he know?"

"He's friends with you on Instagram." He looked down at his feet.

I had to laugh, "Well we all know what's on Instagram is a true portrayal of what's really happening in your life."

"Come on Bree, I'm sorry. This is the first break I've had where I could fly home. I messed up. I love you." His voice broke.

"No Chris. You don't get to walk back in when you finally have a chance and think I'm going to jump right back into bed with you."

"I don't think that." He sputtered.

"Yes you do. Because that's what I always did. You sweep in and we hook up for a couple weeks and then you leave. And then when I said I didn't want to be your make out buddy anymore you made me believe you cared for me long enough to get in my pants. But I fell in love with you and nothing would have made me walk away from you." I spat out angrily.

Chris's brows furrowed and then he took a step towards me quickly slipping his arm around my waist he pulled me against him and my mouth to his.

I forced myself to not respond, as much as deep down I wanted to. I pushed him back. "No."

He didn't say anything, a stern look on his face he tried again, this time holding me tighter.

"No!" I cried shoving him back harder this time.

"Bree, you ok?" Zach stuck his head out the door.

"I'm fine." I swiped the tear from my eye before it could escape down my cheek.

"Do you need help?" Zach eyed Chris.

"No, he was just leaving." I turned and didn't look back following Zach back into the Moon.

After Chris's little visit my night just wasn't the same. I had had to many drinks to drive home, so I asked if Nate and Kirsten would take me home. Zach had offered but I had declined.

I sat in the back seat of Nate's Ford Pickup with my head against the cold window pane. Even though the temperature was barely in the 40's I  still felt on fire from Chris's kiss. I was mad at myself for still feeling anything towards him. But it was the truth I was still in love with him. He had broken my heart but he still owned it.

"Uhhhh Bree, there's someone on your porch." Kirsten turned around to look at me.

"Who is it?" I sat up.

"It's Chris." She bit her lip, "You want me to talk to him?"

I shook my head and pushed my door open, "No I got this."

"Want us to wait?" Nate asked.

"Nope but thank you. I love you guys." I blew a kiss as I shut the door and then turned walking towards my front porch.