Chapter 3: The Spinosaurids' Attack and Valiant Acts

Note:  Chapter Warning: Graphic Description of Dinosaur Violence

___________________________________________________________________

It took Kara a while to register her surroundings again as her brain came slightly out of shock and she noticed that the backup generators had kicked in and the lights had turned back on. The screens were still black and out of signal, however.

"Kara?" Mike called and patted her shoulder and only then Kara realized how tightly she was clutching to Mike's bicep, which was impressively thick and buffed.

"Wh-"She couldn't even form the words. So still not completely with it yet.

"I need to go out there for damage control. You stay here with Winn. It's the safest place."

"No, Mike! What if –" Kara clutched to his arm tighter. She couldn't say the words out loud. What if that T-Rex ate him?!

"It's gonna be ok. I'll be careful." Mike gave her a hesitant smile and squeezed her hand over his arm with the other hand. He was gone before she could say anything else. Five wardens with rifles followed him out. They bolted the door behind them safely before leaving.

Kara looked over to Winn who was watching her.

"He's the best trainer around here, I'm sure he can take care of this." Winn pointed out when he saw how distraught Kara was.

"With what? His cloth magic?!" Kara dropped herself in the nearest empty chair and rubbed her forehead stressfully.

Winn chuckled nervously. "I'm Winn Schott by the way." He extended his hand which Kara shook.

"Kara Danvers."

Winn tipped his head. "Are you Mike's girlfriend?" He asked as if the world wasn't ending out there.

"What?!" Kara blushed deep red and completely flustered.

Winn realizing his mistake held his hands up apologetically. "I'm sorry! I just thought since you two were touching – ehm were together... that – ehm..." He stammered terribly and turned crimson with embarrassment.

Kara, on the other hand, hadn't exactly been offended. She was actually internally a little bemused by the image of herself with a great guy like Mike.

Winn continued justifying his assumption. "...I mean Mike hadn't been with anyone for such a long time. I've known him since college, we were roommates. He hasn't dated anyone since Imra left him. I keep telling him, he needs to move on, but he keeps saying no one would want to be with a dinosaur trainer. I just thought maybe he's finally found someone."

Kara shook her head and tried to assure Winn that she hadn't taken it the wrong way.

"It's ok. I'm actually a reporter from CatCo. I came here to interview Mike and then this happened." She vaguely gestured towards the black screen and the anxiety settled back in. Kara bit her lower lip.

"How much longer should we wait?"

Winn pushed some keys on the keyboard in front of him, but nothing worked. He then shrugged, not knowing what to say. "We wait until someone contacts us."

The time seemed to drag on as they waited for any updates or news of what was happening outside. Looking for a distraction, Winn fumbled with his phone and put on some music. The opening beats to "...Welcome to the Jungle..." began to play and Winn started murmuring along.

How very appropriate, Kara thought. She tried to distract herself and it proved effective for a while until the power went out abruptly, forcing Winn to stop the music.