Chapter 10: Human Vs. Predator

Chapter WARNING: Dinosaur violence! 

_____________________________________________________________

 The day went on with absolutely nothing happening except the rain kept pouring down with no intention to stop. Alex told Kara that Mike and Winn both had radios on themselves, but only Director Jones was allowed to communicate with them. Kara tried to think positively about it. Mike was a fighter, if anyone could come through this alive and keep Winn safe, it would be him.

When the night fell, they went through the same routine from last night. Cold supper, this time in complete silence and then going to their beds. After tossing and turning with a disturbed mind, Kara finally fell asleep praying Mike and Winn were both okay.

It felt mere seconds afterward when a loud alarm jerked her awake. Rubbing her eyes groggily, Kara blinked and squinted in the darkness for the source of noise with a racing heart.

"What is that?!"

"It's the fire alarm." Kara heard Alex replying and made out her silhouette peeking through the wide window of the office into the hallway. Eve was also awake, though didn't speak.

"Okay, Kara I'm going to check what's going on. You lock the door behind me and do not open it to anyone but me. Got it?" Alex ordered and she nodded in return.

After following Alex's words, Kara attempted to switch on the lights in order to lighten up the room since they weren't going to sleep with the constant shriek of alarm and it felt stupid to wait in the dark. The switch didn't work, however. The power was out.

Despite the lack of light in the room, Kara felt Eve's heavy gaze on herself and her radiating anxiety. Kara wished she could tell her about their suspicions. She trusted Eve.

"I- I'm sure it's just another glitch." She suggested with a nervous chuckle to cover her own wrecked nerves.

"I don't think it's a glitch." Eve deadpanned, taking Kara by surprise.

"You don't?"

"No. If the alarms are working then how can the power be out?" Eve paused before continuing with her observation. "You know this is not normal. This park has been designed specifically against such accidents. Sure Maxwell Lord's manipulation damaged the system, but the communication shouldn't be disabled. The National Guard should have reached us two days ago. It's not like we are that far off the coast." Smart Eve, she already had a sense what was going on.

"It is strange." Kara agreed while battling with herself over whether she should share what they believed was going on and in the end decided against it. There was no point in giving Eve more reasons to be afraid. Therefore she played ignorant. "I just hope we all get out of here in one piece."

"I hope so too." Eve sighed.

There wasn't any other chance to talk when someone tried to open the door by twisting the doorknob and failed as the door was still locked and instead raped the door urgently.

"Ma'am? You need to leave the room right now. We are evacuating!" A male voice claimed gravely.

Kara went to open the door in haste, but stopped short with her hand on the handle when she remembered Alex's warning. Kara decided to stall.

"What's going on? Why are we evacuating?"

"There's been an accident. It's dangerous for you to stay on this floor."

Kara frowned at the closed door. What kind of excuse was that?

"I don't understand Sir. What kind of accident?"