Chapter 23: A Time For Us

The couple arrived at the gala right on time. There was a short red carpet with all the cameras pointing at them. When they noticed Mike - the hero behind Kara's very crafty and elaborated story - the flashes became blinding. He sensed Kara's uneasiness on his left side, fidgeting with her purse and slid his fingers between hers, tucking her thumb under his. She relaxed to his touch.

They walked inside the ballroom decorated in green to resemble the Jurassic Park, their hands interlocked. There were large posters hanging all around with Mike's face on them. He smirked at his own smolder on the cover of the Exposé. He had been called in for a photoshoot in his usual ranger clothes a week before and now he was seeing the result. He still couldn't wrap his mind around how they had added Rufio standing next to him and Rexy in the back with the background of the tropic jungle, so believingly as though he had really took the picture on Isla Nublar. One thing was for sure though. In no version of any reality, he would be standing and smiling like an idiot when Rexy was that close behind.

The couple stood in a corner, enjoying a glass of champagne and watched other guests. Mike's eyes drifted to the yet empty dance floor, wondering when it would be finally appropriate to ask Kara to dance.

"Oh my God! That's Miss Grant!" Kara put her flute on the closest stand, suddenly looking very anxious.

"Who?" Mike put his empty flute next hers and followed her line of sight to find out who she was staring and gulping at.

"Hello? Cat Grant? The queen of all media, founder of CatCo?"

"Ah, your boss." He deduced.

Kara nodded nervously. "We should go say hi. I'm sure she wants to meet you."

"Okay..." He suddenly felt overwhelmed. It had been years since he had received so much attention and never this kind. His family was famous for the extravagant parties they through and the word was the Gands knew how to party, but this occasion was far different from any gathering he had been too.

They approached the older blond woman in a ravishing wine-colored dress. There wasn't per se anything striking about her garment or makeup, however, the way she held herself as though owning the space she was in, felt imposing. Queen of all media Kara had said. A very well-fitting name he would say. She radiated the mannerism of a monarchy. Not very unlike his own mother, but it had a very different air to it. She had earned this position while Rhea was born into it. Despite not having heard a word from her mouth, Mike was certain even in a speech she would outwit anyone who dared to argue her view.

Kara's hand tightened around his and she guided him to stand in front of Cat Grant.

"Miss Grant-" Kara started with a stammering voice.

"Kiera! I see you finally gathered the courage to show up." Cat Grant bounced at her. The fire behind her emerald eyes didn't radiate hostility like he had prepared himself for, and it for sure was nothing like her mother's cold eyes, but rather amused and intrigued. It was a relief. He already liked her even if intimidated.

She had pronounced Kara's name wrongly and Mike raised his brows when Kara didn't try to correct her. "Yes, sorry. I just saw you." Kara fumbled with her glasses, but she remembered late that she was wearing contacts that night and ended up tapping herself on the temple awkwardly. She cleared her throat to compose herself before introducing Mike. "Miss Grant, this is –"

"Mike Matthews, I know." Cat Grant beat Kara to it and shook the hand Mike had offered, unexpectedly firmly.

"It's a pleasure meeting you, Miss Grant."

"Likewise Mr. Matthews. You can call me Cat. The pictures don't do you justice, I must say." She replied with a surprisingly charming smile which he found very confusing.