Chapter 19: Catch the Luthors if You Can

Mike looked out of the Chopper's window in anticipation for the hundredth time, searching for Nibs unsuccessfully. It was impossible to tell where the Raptor was from that far high, hence the GPS tracker. Mike took his eyes from outside and looked over Winn's shoulder – who was sat next to the pilot – to watch the tablet he was holding, showing Nibs' whereabouts.

"He's heading for the Aviary!" Mike shouted, guesstimating the Raptors track that was going directly towards the colossal glass dome – housing flying Pterosaurs, like Donny – which was shining under the afternoon sun not too far and approaching quickly.

"It's stopped." Winn announced, pointing at the blinking red dot on the dark screen. Mike noticed it was stalling on the north side of the dome, facing a cliff.

With the little Spanish Mike had learned over the years, he guided the pilot to land them on the helipad behind the Aviary. The pilot continued to do so as the other guard in the aircraft radioed the team on the ground that was waiting for their signal.

As the helicopter closed the distance to their destination, Mike observed the ground, seeing how a clear path could be made out along the edge of the cliff, in the restricted area of the Park, separated by tall fences. If he didn't know any better, he would say it looked like a road or a runaway for small airplanes. Or even private jets.

The moment they touched the ground, Mike unfastened his seat belts and climbed out the fastest he could and tried to find Nibs. The pilot stayed put and the only other guard present, accompanied Mike as they followed Winn, taking the lead with his tablet.

They found Nibs sniffing the ground next to the wall of the Aviary and growling deeply in frustration. Mike whistled at the dinosaur and he raised his head and briefly glanced at Mike in acknowledgment.

"What did you find, Nibsy?" Mike asked as he knelt down beside him and squinted at the dirt where Nibs started digging.

The Raptors sharp nails scratched into a metal plate of some sort and the emitted screeching noise pierced all their ears. Nibs didn't stop his movement and kept making the noise, determined to rip the metal off. Some loud shrieks also were heard as a flock of stray Pterodactyls on the trees nearby flapped away in annoyance.

"UGGH, GOD! MIKE PLEASE STOP HIM!" Winn complained and almost dropped his tablet while covering his ears.

Mike wasn't planning to add deafness to his already long list of injuries, thus he didn't need Winn to ask it and signed Nibs to stop. He, fortunately, obeyed instantly.

The group of three inspected the location and found a manual handle hidden under the thick cover of plants in the vicinity. The soldier turned the rusty handle and in answer, the ground started moving and a doorway showed itself from under the soil.

Soon three cars arrived at their location with armed soldiers, ready to apprehend the Luthors. Mike didn't wait for others and proceeded to enter the underground passage ahead of them, confident that the Luthors were waiting for them on the other side.

It was cool and far less damp in the tunnel. The soldiers projected their flashlights to allow them to see their way ahead. One of them muttered something under his breath which Mike didn't get.

"Ehm Mike?" Winn called.

"What?" Mike asked a bit distracted while focusing on what could appear in front of them.

"You forgot to tell Nibs to stay out."

The Raptor ran past the people who had cleared the way hastily and up to Mike, almost tripping him in his enthusiasm. He patted the dinosaur on the back and slowed him down so they were walking side by side.