Chapter 20

I wore a long black cardigan over my overalls. If you're wondering why, well, I am queen, and I'm wearing overalls. Get it???

I walk downstairs. I keep my hands to my stomach to keep the cardigan in place. People stare at me. I smile and wave as if nothing was wrong. But I sadly know, EVERYTHING IS WRONG.

I finally make it outside. I keep running and running.

Ok. I'm now at the fence. Phew. Here we go.

I hop over. There he is.

He is whistling a soft tune. He was brushing a dark brown horse's mane. He had a casual worn shirt and pants. He was barefooted. He was facing her, but not paying attention to me. In fact, he didn't even see me!

I look at him closer. He has light brown hazel hair, with the most... well... the most gorgeous bright green eyes.

I walk toward him, and I accidentally tripped on my own foot. He was startled, and so was I.

I wasn't used to shoes, and DEFINITELY NOT used to high heels.

"Sorry," I said apologetically.

He helped me up.

"How long were you there?" He asked suspiciously.

"Umm...." I said akwardly. "Not long..."

He smiled and laughed.

"I was kidding, it's fine."

Phew, I thought.

His kiddish smile turned into a worried glance as he realized something.

"Wwaait," He said, stampering. "You're queen Alexia!"

I nodded.

He took a deep bow. I giggled.

He looked up at me and said, "Hey, what's with the cardigan, your majesty?"

"Oh, this is nothing." I replied.

I quickly took it off and revealed my overalls. He looked confused for a second, then started laughing. I didn't know what was so funny, but I ended up laughing too. We laughed as if we were old friends. It lasted for about a minute, which felt like hours. We ended up on the ground, gasping for breath.

He stood up and offered a hand and helped me up.

I'm Lucas. So... Queen Alexia," He said, grinning. "What brings you here?"

"Just Alexia is fine," I said. "I came, because the last time I came we never got a chance to meet."

I thought he was a very nice boy.

"Well then, Alexia, welcome to the stables. My father works... or at least, used to work for your mother. I help him. And now, he has went to another state to work. He handed this job to me. Boy, I sure like horses, Alexia."

I laughed.

"Well, Sir Lucas, I was very curious about you. I don't know much people."

"Alexia, call me Lucas."

I nodded, and he offered a upside down bucket for me to sit on. I thanked him, while he groomed the horse.

"So, Alexia," He said, brushing the horse. "Tell me about yourself."

"Well, I used to live in the palace's basement. My mother hated me. Long story. I just came out, and then, you know... She died... Nothing much to my life."

"I'm sorry for your loss. You know, you can come over to my home someday, Alexia."

"Sure. But first, tell me about you."

"Well, I was born in my cottage. I grew up with the horses. My mother had left me when I was 4. Me and my dad work to live."

"Oh..."

"No problem. Hey, do you wanna see the horses?"

"Sure!"

He introduced me to all of them.

Then, last came my favorite. Stardust.

"And finally, that's Skipper." Lucas said.

"Oh... I named that one Stardust." I said to him.

He laughed. "That's a good one. Let's call him Stardust from now on."

I checked my watch. It was 10:46. Wow. Time flew by.

"Lucas," I said. "I should get going now."

"Oh, that's okay. I'll see you next time. When can we meet?"

I thought about it.

"Tomorow at 9:30 would be fine."

"Okay, Alexia. Here at 9:30."

I started to walk away. He waved at me. I waved back. I kept walking. I took one last look back and ran to the palace, forgeting that my cardigan was off and that I was in my overalls.