Chapter 28

Greatest Prize - Nat & Alex Wolff

Demons - Imagine Dragons

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Harry POV*

Her lips were cold against mine. She made no movement. She didn't kiss me back, but I didn't pull away. Eventually I felt her body relax and she kissed me back.

I pulled away sooner then I wanted to and placed my forehead against hers. Our breathing was uneven and I could feel her heart pounding. I don't know what made me do it. The whole ride home I tried to come up with something to make her WANT to stay. I knew she would be staying unless I agreed to let her go because she had no way to get back, but I needed for her to want to stay her, not just because she had to.

When I saw her reaching for the door knob, I did the only thing that my heart and mind were telling me to do. I told her what I had thought up in the car...and then I kissed her.

She opened her eyes and I looked into them. A small smile formed on my lips. I've hopelessly fallen for this girl, and I wasn't going to hold it in any longer.

"Please tell me you'll stay. Not because you have to, but because you want to." She closed her eyes again and a sigh left her lips. She placed her hands on my chest and I thought she was going to push me away, but just before I stepped back in defeat, she spoke.

"I want to stay." A sigh of relief left my mouth and I leaned down again, giving her another small kiss. My phone buzzed and I groaned pulling away from her. Sophia's name flashed across my screen.

"Hey Soph. What's up?" The screaming and panic on the other end of the line made my mind race. What's going on? What's happening?

"Sophia calm down! I can't understand what you're saying love. What's going on?" Laney was right up next to me, trying to listen to the conversation.

"Li-liam...w-wa-was...shot!" The last word came out loud and clear. My heart rate increased and I felt my legs grow weak. I leaned up against the wall, trying to keep myself from falling.

"Wh-what? Sophia what happened!?" I heard more crying and screaming on the other end of the line.

"Excuse me who am I talking to?" A new voice came on the line, this one was much more calm and steady.

"Th-this is Harry. I'm Liam's friend and roommate. Who is this?" My manners were long gone, but I just needed to know what was going on.

"My name is Tracy. I'm one of the EMT's on the case of your friend. It looks like he has sustained a gunshot wound to his lower abdomen. We're having a hard time getting anything out of his girlfriend, do you by chance know of any medical things we should know about?"

I had known Liam for years and I knew a few medical things but not much. I told Tracy about his allergy to penicillin and the surgeries I knew he had when he was younger.

"Thank you very much Harry, this will all be very helpful to us. Now just one more question. Do you know of anybody that would want to do something like this to your friend?"

I pulled Laney closer to me, wishing I could be there to help Liam and Sophia.

"I'm sorry, but I can't think of anyone." I felt bad that I couldn't help out more. Things have been so crazy in my life lately that I hadn't even taken anytime to ask Liam about his. Maybe he's been having issues with someone at school or something. I just don't know.

Tracy ended the call quickly after she promised to have someone call and keep me updated until I could get back. The only problem was that I didn't know when I would go back. I was thrown in between keeping Laney safe and going back to check on Liam. I hung up the phone and took Laney inside. No one else was around and now that I thought about it I realized I hadn't seen the car in the driveway. They probably took Brooke home.