fourteen

d a m o n

"i'll gladly sit here and drink with you, lia, but you can't keep your humanity off forever." i sighed.

"for the last time damon, my humanity is on." thalia rolled her eyes. "i don't do killing people. things would be a lot worse if my humanity were truly gone."

"how so?"

"you know the story of beauty and the beast?" she asks, and i nod in response. "well, let's just say that beauty became the beast."

FLASHBACK: CHICAGO, 1934

"when klaus compelled me, i changed. my beauty always struck out with the best outcomes, but i had never used it in such an unfavourable manor. it was how i had reeled people in that night. i was this heavenly beauty upon them, until i got closer and they saw my true colours. i was a monster, a beast. i was everything i never wanted to be."

FIN

k l a u s

"sophie deveraux. what is this?" i appeared confused, but more angry on the side of things.

"he's all yours. proceed." elijah nodded to the witch.

"you know you're famous in this town? witches tell bedtime stories about the powerful vampire klaus. we know marcel was nothing but an orphaned street rat until you made him what he is & now he's out of control. he does what he wants, he kills who he wants. i'm gonna stop him & you're gonna help me." sophie demands.

i admit that the witch had strength behind her, but i then glance back at my brother.

"this is why you brought me here?" i ask, growing more annoyed by the second.

"hear her out, brother." elijah insisted.

"i don't need to hear her out." i refused. "i assure you, love, there is not a thing on this earth that will matter enough for me to waste even thirty more seconds of my time." i turned from sophie, back to my brother. "elijah, what utter madness is this?"

a brunette girl then enters to where we are, myself recognizing her immediately.

"klaus you need to listen to them." hayley insisted, but with thalia on my mind, that's the last thing i was going to do right now.

"you're all out of your minds if you think some liquor-fueled one-night stand, no offense sweetheart, means a thing to me," i was not buying into any of this.

"marcel may be able to keep us from practicing real magic in this town, but as keepers of the balance, we still know when nature has cooked up something new. for example, i have a special gift, of sensing when a girl is pregnant," sophie told me.

"what?" the look of shock covering my face.

this couldn't be happening, it's impossible.

"i know. it's impossible." hayley spoke.

"what are you saying?"

"niklaus, the girl is carrying your child." elijah said.

"no. it's impossible. vampires cannot procreate. first thalia, now this? i've had enough to deal with over a millennium, have i not?" i fumed.

"but werewolves can. magic made you a vampire, but you were born a werewolf. you're the original hybrid, the first of your kind & this pregnancy is one of nature's loopholes." the witch answered me.

"you've been with someone else. admit it!" I yelled out of pure frustration.

"hey, i spent days held captive in a freakin' alligator bayou because they think that i'm carrying some magical miracle baby. don't you think i would've fessed up if it wasn't yours?" hayley snapped at me.

"my sister gave her life to perform the spell she needed to confirm this pregnancy. because of jane-anne's sacrifice, the lives of this girl & her baby are now controlled by us. if you don't help us take down marcel, so help me, hayley won't live long enough to see her first maternity dress," sophie threatened.

"wait, what?" hayley seemed to be completely unaware of this part of sophie's plan.

"enough of this! if you want marcel dead, he's dead. i'll do it myself!" i said.

"no. we can't. not yet. we have a clear plan that we need to follow & there are rules." sophie exclaimed.

"how dare you command me? threaten me with what you wrongfully perceive to be my weaknesses? i won't hear any more lies." 

i had, had enough of this, fear and anger both evident in my tone of voice, but controlling it well.

"niklaus, listen." elijah said as all went quiet, & the sound of a small heartbeat could be heard coming from hayley's stomach.

"kill her & the baby. what do i care?" i stormed out.

although i deeply regret my choice of words, i didn't feel i had much of a choice. alongside that, all I could think about was thalia. i loved her, not hayley. we occurred one night where thalia was nowhere near my mind, as it's drunken state was beyond compare missing.

my dear darling, i let your beauty be masked by a beast once, don't let it happen again.