Page 2

On another busy day I had done a major surgery with a child as my patient. I was in my office,discussing things with the child's parents. I was in the middle of explaining their kid food restriction when a woman entered my office abruptly.

It was Katrina. My ex wife.

I didn't know what she's doing there. From the look on her face,I knew she didn't expect me to be with some guests.

'I'm sorry sir,I already told her you have a meeting,but she insist ...' Lina,my secretary showed up behind her with a horror look.

I waved my hand to stop her words. I looked at Katrina and said 'I will be with you later. Can you wait Mrs Katrina?'

'Yes. Of course. I'm sorry.'

Although there were so many questions in my head about the reason of her visit,I forced my mind to focus on the couple in front of me.

As I promised,I invited Katrina to come inside my office. She walked inside and closed my office door.

I looked up. 'Please let the door open.'

She just smiled with a smile I couldn't understand. She was still as pretty as I remember. Just a little bit older. Of course,considering how many years we parted. Reluctantly,she opened the door,just a little. More like, she cracked it open.

'Have a seat.' I leaned back in my chair.

'I can't believe you're still as handsome as I remember.' She said that with a devil smile and walked lazily to the chair across from me. I used to see her smile as an invitation,not now. Not when I knew that she's belong to somebody. Not when I remembered about what she did to me.

'I don't have much time. What do you want?' I tried to be as stern as possible. A woman like her need to be handled sternly. Leave no space of ambiguity.

She looked shocked for a while. Just for a while. Then her face dropped. Her shoulders slumped down. I knew I defeated her. Whatever she's trying to do to me,I refused to fall for it. 'Please help my daughter.' She said it with a very soft and slow tone. Tears started to fall down on her beautiful face. I've learnt that not all tears mean sorrow,especially with her. But I still have my manner. I shoved her a box of tissue. She took one.

'What is it with your daughter?'

'She has ... Cronic kidney disease. God,Khalil,I know what I did was wrong and I hurt you. But please please help her.' She started throwing her plea at me furiously.

'Calm down,Katrina. I will help. But first,I need to know how long she has this?'

'About a year ago. She was 2 years old.'

I jotted down on my notes. 'Have you visited a doctor?'

'Yes. She went through some medication therapy.'

'Went? She's not anymore?' I looked at her sharply and she looked away with her eyes closed. She didn't want to talk about it. But if she wanted my help,I would need to know all about it. Maybe not now. 'Where's she now?'

'Here. I mean ... She's in your waiting room.'

'Why don't you sign her in here?' Why meeting me instead of putting her daughter in this hospital?

'I ... I don't have money. Khalil,I'm bankrupt. That's why we didn't continue the medication.'

There were so many questions I want to ask her but I know what I had to do first. 'What's your daughter's name?'

'Amanda.'

I pick up the phone on my desk. 'This is Dr Khalil Nurdin, I need to put a patient named Amanda. Daughter of Katrina. Yes,under my supervision. CKD. Give her Dr Norma. Blood and urine,immediately.' I hang up,stood,and walked to the door. I could sense Katrina was walking behind me. 'You need to be beside her as much as you could. Are you working?'

'Yes.'

Once I saw Amanda,I stopped dead at my track. She was so pale,white like a sheet. What kind of parents who let their 3-year-old daughter to be in this position. I turned my gaze at Katrina. 'Why didn't you come to me immediately?' Although I wasn't specialized in pediatrics, she knew I'm a doctor. A well-known surgeon. I have networks she could use.

I knelt down in front of Amanda and noticed immediately that she's not herself at the moment. I checked her temperature and impulse. She got cranky when I touched her.

'I need to induce her. Put her to a stable state,just to make sure she won't put a hard time during the medication phase.'

A nurse came with 2 males and a bed. Some men walked behind them,and I saw Zahra. I suddenly remember that I have a meeting with her team. I motioned them with my hand to have a seat. 'I'll be with you guys,just give me a minute.'