Page 1

She walked inside the cafeteria in the hospital I worked,and the time froze. Nothing much to look at her. She wore a big black dress that covered her body perfectly and a soft green,also long,hijab. The hijab went down until half of her body.
.
So why do I look so stunned and speechless?
.
That's because of her face. It was a peaceful face and full of smile. She walked to a table of 3 people and sat there. They talked for a while,then stood up and walked out.
.
30minutes later,I saw her in one meeting. She wore a formal blazer on top of her black dress. I was there,along with 4 board members of the hospital.
.
'I think we should wait for Mr Khalil Nurdin.'
.
I smiled at that. I cleared my throat in an effort to suppress my laugh. An old man beside me leaned his body forward. 'This man,' he waved his hand at me, 'is Mr Khalil Nurdin.'
.
She looked at me with her big eyes,speechless. Her next comment caught me off guard.
.
'The Mr Nurdin?' I frowned my brows. Somehow,I felt irritated at her comment.
.
'Your point,miss ... ?'
.
'Zahra. I'm sorry sir. I was expecting someone else. Older.'
.
'Why older?'
.
She looked at her team,unsure about what to do or say. After a while,she looked back at me. 'I mean ... Your reputation for being a hospital owner and famous surgeon ... I think ... Well, don't you think you're a bit ... Young ... To be all that?'
.
'You're not the first who thought like that. Even all of gentlemen here doubted me at first.'
.
'But you did it.'
.
I nodded. 'I did it,with a lot of help.'
.
She nodded her head several times. Most women would throw themselves at me by blinking their eyelashes flirtatiously. But not with this Zahra girl. After being shocked that her boss would be me,she instantly switched to a formal and business face.
.
I couldn't help but to compare her with my ex wife. That's how we met. Once she knew I was the owner,she threw herself at me. We went out as a couple for several months. I took her to any charity events I attend, and she could got along very well with my colleagues. I had to admit that she has a very friendly personality,it's so easy for people to accept her. I was 27 that time and my parents asked me to go for a marriage. So,I married her. After several months of marriage,there's no sign of pregnancy.
.
'We can check to a gynecologist. I know a good one,she's a friend from school.'
.
'I don't think so,I'm busy today. Appointments.'
.
'It doesn't have today. We can check in for later. I'll make an appointment with her for you.'
.
'I'll think about it.'
.
Everytime I mentioned something about going to a gynecologist and did pregnancy check,she always had thousand excuses for not going. I thought she didn't want to have a baby.
.
'It's not like that. Of course I want a baby. It's just ... I'm not ready yet. This project my team working on is a very important one. I don't want to ruin it.'
.
I grabbed her hands and put them in mine. 'I know you will be just fine. You're a strong woman.'
.
'I can't make myself focus with my project if I got pregnant,you know,morning sickness.' I couldn't agree more. Although I'm a man,I was well informed about what morning sickness could do to a woman. The fact that I was a general doctor once really helped.
.
Someone turned the lights on and I blinked several times to escape from my trance. Some board members started to ask Zahra and she answered the questions with stern but polite tone. In the end,one man stood up and hold out his hand to shake hers.
.
'Congratulations. Your team got the deal.'
.
She didn't take his hand. Instead,she put her hands closed in front of her chest and smiled. The man smiled shyly and put his hand down. We shook hands with the rest of her team,all males.
.
I walked away from the meeting room reluctantly. So when I heard her voice calling me,I felt deliriously happy.
.
'Sir,I'm very sorry for what happen earlier. I didn't mean to underestimate you or whatsoever.' The horror look in her face told me she was sincerely guilty.
.
'There's nothing to worry about. I told you. You're not the first one who thinks like that.'
.
We parted ways and I felt an instant sadness in my heart. I scolded myself for being so childish in my 30-year. Life went on. I got busy as usual.