Page 5

I looked at the girl in front of me. Suddenly she was more beautiful then a minute ago. Beautiful in the inside and outside, that's a quality I want my wife to be. The thought struck me like a lightning in a sunny day as I never had that kind of thought before. Just before I could process what was running through my head, my mouth blurted out 'How old are you?'

'Being wise doesn't related with age.'

Again, her answer surprised me. This girl never ceased to amaze me. 'Agree.' There was a tap on my door. I looked up and saw Lina's face.

'I'm done here.'

'Okay,you can go. Thank you for everything.'

She eyed Zahra for a while. 'Um,okay. See you tomorrow,doc.' I nodded at her.

'Well,I guess I have to go too.' She stood up and I followed suit reluctantly. 'See you tomorrow,doc.'

'Khalil. Since I'll be calling you by name,it will be fair if you call me by my name.'

Her brows frowned,it looked like she was contemplating. About what? 'I don't think it's a wise thing to do. You're my boss right now. It would be inappropriate if I called you by name.'

I knew she was right,but a part of me couldn't help to feel disappointed. I was thinking,maybe,if we called each other by name then we could be more than what we're now.

Maybe,she doesn't want to have more with you? Why does she want to be with you? You're a widower,while she's a virgin. A virgin will try to find a virgin too.

Argh ... Sometimes I hate my inner-self. They always know the truth. Most of the times,it was bitter truth. Like this time.

'Okay then,see you tomorrow.'

By the end of the week,Amanda's condition was getting better and better. Soon,I would have to transfer her to a bigger hospital. I know someone there who would be able to help. But first,I needed to talk to both of her parents. So I ask Katrina to bring Radian to the hospital. As I've predicted,she refused it.

'Either you bring him here,or I'll come to your house.' We were in my office when I dropped the ultimatum bomb. Besides,I wanted to move on,and didn't have anything to do with her anymore. I didn't want her name in my mind anymore. I owed myself a good life. And if possible, a wise woman beside me.

'Khalil,please. It won't make any difference.'

'But he's her father,Katrina. He has the rights to know. Even if he doesn't want it.'

'He ... He doesn't care about us anymore.'

'What do you mean?' She bit her lower lips. 'Katrina? What's going on?' She didn't say anything. Her brows frowned in deep thinking. 'Katrina,I'm more than a doctor for your daughter,I'm your friend. I want to help. But you have to help me too.'

She sighed and took a deep breath.

I sensed there would be a storm coming out of her. Learnt from my own mistake, I stated it clearly before she had the chance to open her mouth. 'Tell me the truth. No more lies. Or vague answer.'

'The truth is ... everything has changed,Khalil. He ... He has changed. At first,he came home late,drunk. Then things got worse.'

'Did he hurt you? Hit you?'

'No.'

'Hurt Amanda?'

'Never.'

'He still got his job,right?'

Katrina shook her head.

'Since when?'

'About 9 months ago. This is his second months away from home.'

'What do you mean away?' She looked away,tried to avoid my question. 'Katrina,wallaahi ... if you ever telling me another lies,I won't help.'

She closed her eyes and pulled her lips to a straight line.

That's when I knew she wouldn't lie.

'He's rarely home. Everytime he went home,always drunk and unconscious. Some men came for him,to ask for money he lost on gambling. That's why he rarely home,he's scared of the men.'

Her story shocked me. She used to be in the high class society circle. How did her world turned upside down? I knew what to ask,I just didn't have the heart to say it out loud.