Page 7

I couldn't forget the shock I felt when I came face to face with the man. Sure, internet had bombarded me with his pictures once I put his name in the search box. Most pictures were him and so many people,maybe his patients. Sure, he looked good in those pictures. But they didn't do him any justice. The real man was more than that.

He had charisma that he brought around whenever he went and made people obey his words,while at the same time they could make jokes with him. He's both their boss and friends.

But not with me. I never saw him snapped or angry with nurses or patients or any other people who worked with him. But he got angry at me. True,it was only that 1 time, but it's enough to kill my mood for the whole day. I didn't know why but I wanted to be perfect in front of him.

Gah! What was I thinking to think like that? He's my client. Period.

'Can you please send someone else? I can't go back there.' I walked beside Adam and tried to persuade him to send someone else to talk and check for the finalization of the hospital program.

'You're just being silly,Zahra. Don't let your feelings lead you.'

I snapped my head at him. 'feelings? What feelings?'

'that you don't like him-'

'I didn't say that.'

He shrugged. 'you don't have to. We all know it.' Then he stopped and turned around to look at me. 'That's why I asked you to join my team,you can function well without mixing your emotion. So tell me one good reason why you can't go to his office and talk to him?'

He's right. I knew Adam was right. There's got to be one good reason of my refusal. It's the end of the year,everybody was busy meeting deadline of the team. Since nobody was capable to put a hold on their job,I had to do the dirty work. Well,not really dirty. But when I remember about his last response on my last visit,my stomach churned.

'Did you do something wrong?' Adam asked again.

'No.' That's the truth. I was sure I didn't do anything wrong. Then why it seemed that he was angry at me? I did make an appointment. It's not my fault if he forgot about it. I believe it's me who supposed to be angry. I thought we had something. The way he looked at me,the way he asked for my condition and paid attention. And I told him my breakdown and shared some of my thoughts. I really thought he and I could be something.

I smacked my head mentally. Apparently you're wrong again,silly girl. You expect too much. As usual.

'Do you like him?' I followed him in to an elevator.

'What?' Did I hear it correctly? Or maybe,I just wanted to buy more time to think about a nice and smooth reply.

'I said, do you like him?'

'Him who?' Play like a fool. Yeah,I'm good at it.

'Dr Khalil.'

'Are you serious? He was such an annoying,arrogant,and selfish doctor. He thought too high about himself. Okay,he's young,successful, handsome. So what?'

'Good to hear that. I just don't want to lose your talent because of some mellow lovesick breakdown.'

'Look,I don't like him,okay?'

'Okay. So,no problem on meeting him this Friday?' I really hated Adam for knowing his employees well. He really knew how to push us all to do whatever he wants.

'Fine. I'll make an appointment with his secretary.'

So when Friday came,I lost my appetite. I spent some minutes before the appointment in the hospital bathroom. My hands cold. I felt cold all over my body. It had been days since the last time I saw him and he snapped at me and I still felt afraid of facing him again.

'Relax,Zahra. He's just another client. It's not your final project presentation. Just ask about any inputs,then get out of here.' I stood in front of the bathroom mirror while convincing myself over and over. Usually,it worked.

I started walking towards Dr Khalil's office and saw his secretary desk was empty. I took a spot on the sofa. I looked at the clock on the wall, I was 5minutes late.

Should I just go knock on his door? He must've been waiting for me,right? Or maybe I should wait for his secretary? What if he gets angry because I got late,and got later because I have to wait for Lina?

I decided to walk to his office when Lina came. I felt relieved. She motioned me to go ahead. 'He knows you're coming.' I nodded and kept moving forward. The door open slightly. I knocked at it and the door fully opened. What I saw made my eyes widened, my knees wobbled and I got speechless.

He was standing with his back was pressed on the desk. A woman,half clothed,stood in front of him,pressing him. She wore short skirt and bra. Her hands were on his chest.

Just when I looked at them,they looked back atme. I've never been in this situation before,so I didn't know what to do. Whatto say. How to act. So I just lowered my gaze,and caught the woman's whitetransparent blouse lying on the floor and put it on the small table beside thedoor. 'I'm sorry. I'm really sorry.' I closed the door and about to run out ofthe office. That's when my rationality kicked in.ge. But no picturesabout the unlucky woman. He's that stingy with details. But then again, it'shis life. His prerogative.