Page 8

Why do I have to run? I didn't do anything wrong. Embarrassed? For what? He's the one who's caught in the act.

So I took a deep and long breath and took a spot on the sofa in the waiting room. I tried to calm my breath when I caught a question look from Lina across from me. 'He told me to wait here.'

She kept looking at me as if I was just dropped from outer space right in front of her. I ignored her stare and kept focus on maintaining my steady breath.

Whatever happen,I'm going to end this visit once and for all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A woman I recognized as Amanda's mother came out of his office. I blinked my eyes several times in hoping that I might see it wrong. But she is Amanda's mother,the same woman that kissed him. What was she doing in there?

None of your concern!

Right. None of my concern. When I looked at Lina,she was as shocked as me.

Lina's desk phone beeped. She took it then hang up. 'He's asking for you.'

I stood up and smoothed my long dress. Put on my blazer and ... this was the important thing ... maintain my steady breath. I need to make sure that every inch of my body was well covered. Whatever it was he had in mind with that woman,he won't get it from me. Not even a peek!

I knocked at his office door and embraced myself for what I was going to find this time. Luckily,no more surprise. He was sitting casually behind his desk. So I just walked towards him and nodded.

'Assalaamu'alaikum, how are you today,sir?'

'Wa'alaikumussalaam. I'm fine,thank you.'

'I'm here to ...'

He pointed his finger to cut my words. 'I know. And I have nothing to say. I believe it's ready to launch as soon as possible. We need this system to go out there.'

'Yes sir. We'll make that happen ... I believe not in a long time. A week will be enough.'

I stayed there for 30 minutes to talk about the maintenance plan and other stuffs. He talked and made some points while I wrote on my notes. I couldn't help but to admire his self-control after being caught up in a very humiliating moment. But maybe,it's because of lot of practice. I've heard that he always had women admiring him anywhere he go. Maybe,he had some women chained under his feet. I shook my head to bring my focus back. Whatever he's doing with his life was none of my business. But why did I feel sad?

'Thank you for what your team has done for us. It's really helpful.'

Whoa, I never thought it's going to be that fast and easy. I took it as my cue to leave. So I packed my things. 'We're also honored to have a part in this project. This hospital has a good reputation,so I hope it will bring goodness for both parties.'

'I agree miss Zahra.'

'I will make appointment for you and Adam to meet and finish the other details. Thank you so much for your time. Have a nice day Dr Khalil. Assalaamu'alaikum.' I nodded and went out of his office. If I felt unsure when I came here,I felt some reluctance when I walked out from here. I stepped in to the elevator and put my head on its wall. Sadness captured me. Maybe Adam was right. I liked him. I liked Dr Khalil Nurdin. But I still felt disappointed about what had happened earlier,between him and Amanda's mother.

I won't see him again after this. I prayed for you,Dr Khalil. For your life. For your career. Islam needs people like you. So I pray you won't waste what Allaah has given you. I pray that you will marry a good woman and have a blessed life. Aamiin.

Aamiin.

I swore I heard a voice saying it,so loud so I turned my head around. But no one there. I was alone in the elevator. Was it ghost? I stood straight and started reciting some Qur'an ayahs. When the elevator door opened,I quickly stepped out of it and went straight to a firm chest. I almost stumbled back in.

'Whoa there. Are you okay?' Male hands were on the other sides of my shoulders. I looked at them and flinched.

'I'm sorry.' I kept my head down and started walking through the lobby when I felt someone tap my shoulder.

'Hey,are you sure you're okay?'

I stopped,turned around,then looked up to saw a young and handsome doctor. What's wrong with this place? Doctors are supposed to be old and bald. Is this place is some kind of a club of young and handsome doctor?

'Huh?' I knew it's a lame reply,but my mind couldn't find any suitable words at the moment.

He chuckled. 'I said are you okay,because you don't look okay.'

'Who are you?'

Instead of answering my question,he just smiled and rubbed his neck with his hand. 'My name is Fajar and you ran in to me.'

'I did?'

d in.ge. But no picturesabout the unlucky woman. He's that stingy with details. But then again, it'shis life. His prerogative.