Ch.17 Hours

"Hey girl, what's up?!" Alba asked as she walked into the employee break room. I had gotten to work kind of early, so I was drawing in my sketchbook. "Hey dude, morning..." I muttered as I continued drawing. Alba walked around me and leaned over my shoulder to get a better look. "Is that...?" I jumped when I realized she was watching me. "N-no! It's nothing!" I said as I tried covering it with my hand. "Girl, you've got it bad huh?" She teased as she took the sketchbook from under me and admired it. It was a portrait of Lewis.

"It's not half bad!" She laughed as she handed it back to me. "I don't know what to do...I really like him, but I'm kind of scared..." I trailed off sadly as I glanced at my drawing. "Why are you scared?" I shrugged. "It's just, my ex really messed me up. I have trust issues and I'm really insecure because of him. I don't know if any guy can really be okay with all of my defects. On top of that I have a daughter and not every guy is down for that baby daddy drama..." I trailed off sadly. "Only one way to find out..." she whispered as she turned me by the shoulders and faced me towards the door.

"Morning Alba, morning Hannah..." his voice made me jump. "M-morning!!" I shouted, stiffer than a board. "Oh, look at the time! I've to go clock in!" Alba said as she glanced at her naked wrist. "See you guys!" She said as she gave us a two-finger salute, then disappeared out the door. "She's quite the character huh?" Lewis asked, amused. I nodded, my heart racing.

"So, I was wondering if you were doing anything tomorrow afternoon?" I thought about it for a second. "No, it's actually my day off..." I said as I clutched onto my sketchbook. "I'm off too and I was wondering if you'd be down to go to Hollywood with me. There's a Guitar Center there that I really like..." he trailed off as he rubbed the back of his neck. My heart fluttered jovially. "Y-yea, I'd love to go! My cousin already has plans with my daughter, so I'm free for the day!" I said excitedly. "Cool..." he said with a smile as he put his lanyard on. My face turned crimson when he walked over and placed a gentle kiss on my cheek. "See you downstairs" he whispered just before turning around and walking out the door.

The rest of the day dragged on. It was a slow day, typical after the holidays. I was on register one, when my supervisor Jessie walked over. "Hey Hannah, any credit sales today?" She asked as she fixed the small toys that adorned the corners of the register. "No, it's been pretty slow today..." I admitted. "Well, HR Ricky is telling me I've got to cut some hours, so I have to send you home early..." she trailed off. "Well that sucks..." I said as I stared at my computer screen. "I know girl, but you're not the only one, trust..." she said just before walking away.

After I bagged out, I turned my money over to Jessie, who gave me a sympathetic look. After I grabbed all of my stuff, I clocked out and made my way out of the store. "Hey Hannah..." his voice made me jump. "L-Lewis! W-what are you doing out here?" I asked timidly. He was leaning against the wall of the store, behind some coin operated merry-go-rounds.

"They sent me home early so I was texting my dad for a ride, but I think he's busy. I think I'll just take the bus..." he trailed off as he put his phone away. "See you tomorrow Hannah..." he said with a smile as he turned to make his way to the bus station. "W-wait!" I shouted, louder than needed. "If you want, I can give you a ride..." I trailed off as I clutched onto my sketchbook. "Are you sure? I don't want to be a bother..." I shook my head. "It's not a bother, I promise..." I said as I motioned for him to follow.

I drove in silence for the first few minutes. "Look, up ahead is where I live" I motioned with my head towards the upcoming traffic light. He turned his head out the window just as we were about to pass the park. "This park looks familiar..." he muttered. "I come here all the time whenever I just need to get away from it all..." I said as we began passing it. "Can we stop here?" He asked. Without thinking, I pulled into the parking lot. "W-where are you going?" I asked as he opened the passenger door. "For a walk, care to join me?" After a few seconds of hesitation, I opened my door and stepped out of the car.