Chapter 4

Here it is :)

I'll try to keep the chapters coming as regularly as I can. This one's a little longer. Enjoy.

oooooooooo

Azula clenched her fists, but managed to contain herself from saying anything else as manic laughter filled the room.

"Still, after so many years, you come crying to Daddy when there's something you can't quite figure out..." Ozai grinned at the celling.

"I thought you might care that our nation is at war with itself." Azula said.

"Is that what Zuko's been filling your head with? Sentiment? I couldn't care less if your incompetent brother leads our nation into the abyss."

"So that's it? You'd rather see your kingdom burn than let someone else have it?"

"Think, Azula." he looked straight into her eyes for the first time since she walked in.

"You do know something, but you want something in return."

"Correct. My father passed down this knowledge to me. And before you start arranging a trip to the Spirit World, no, my brother didn't get the same lesson. The Fire Lord chose me as worthy, and only me."

Azula was relieved, at least that should be easy. Bribing a man who has nothing left.

"I can't set you free." she said, "I could get you transferred to a nicer cell, get you clothes, furniture, better food... We can work it out right now."

"No. I desire only one thing," he interrupted her, "Your son. Zari. I want to meet him, alone."

"Out of the question." she snapped.

"Those are my terms."

"Pick something else! You're living like a dog, there has to be something you'd want!" Azula go visibly upset which only let Ozai know he was on the right track.

"I think one conversation with my grandson isn't too much to ask. I hear I'm a great-grandfather now too... Anyway, how much damage can I realistically do in that time?"

"How do I know you even have any information for me? Prove your words and then we'll see."

"I will only share what I know with Zari, no one else. And since you seem to care so much you have no choice, but to agree."

oooooooooo

After hearing what they wanted of him, Zari immediately said he wasn't afraid. He was given a choice and he chose to help. He didn't think he'd be in any danger. Then came the warnings from his mother and uncle which honestly made him feel a bit uneasy. After that his mother led him through underground tunnels underneath Republic City filled with guards, which made him wonder why all that was necessary for an old non-bender.

"They're not to keep him from getting out, but to keep other people from getting in to free him." Azula explained, like she read his mind just now, "Some people can't seem to let go of our nation's past, even in Republic City."

When they were in front of the heavy metal door, Zari hesitated for a second. He wasn't thinking of giving up, but he definitely wasn't as confident as he would have liked to be at that moment. He didn't say anything, it was just a moment of pause in his actions, but Azula saw it. She gently cupped his face and moved the hair out of the way before planting a kiss on his forehead.

"Knock on the door when you're done." she gave him that last instruction and let him go in there alone. Her renowned instincts, her entire mind was screaming at her not to allow this, but they were running out of options fast.