16▸16

Rose sat down on the old mattress, staring in the darkness at the red flower in a glass vase. The flower died days ago, petals had fallen and landed on the papers laying underneath. The bright moon's light fell through the small window close to the flower, some wooden planks covered the shattered glass so that the cold weather didn't come inside.

There were no curtains, giving Rose a clear view over the streets nearby. It was not crowded outside, everyone sleeping or resting at their own home. The houses were dark, no flame flickering on the candles and no light shining through windows.

"You're awake," Enjolras said surprised, his voice raspy and his long hairs fallen in front of his blue eyes. He had felt the absence of Rose lying next to him and had woken up to see where she went.

"I'm not really good at sleeping, but that's okay, no need to worry. You do need your rest!," she explained, her head turned to him while talking.

Enjolras raised himself from his sleeping position, his fingers rubbing in his tired eyes. His body felt the need to get some rest, but he fought against it, Rose needed him more.

He rested his chin on her shoulder, his blonde and curly hairs tickling her neck. He placed his lips on her light skin, giving her a small kiss. He laid one hand on her injured arm, the bandages being a barricade between him and her. The fabric was dirty from the blood that touched against it, the wounds had finally stopped bleeding. The small cuts and the dark bruised decorating her body once again, it looked painful but Rose was fine, she was used to them by now.

"Enjolras, go back to sleep! I don't want you to be tired tomorrow."

"And I don't want you to be awake right now, it's way too early for that," he combed her hairs behind her small ears, his eyes staring in hers.

"I'm going to be fine, trust me. It's been like this since I was a small child," Rose stated. She stared at the ground, trying to push away every memory that she remembered from her times with her parents.

"You can lay down with me, we both need our rest," he said inviting her with open arms for a hug. Rose leaned against him, her head laying on his chest and her ears listening to his calm heartbeat. She could feel his body temperature against her skin, her cheek glowing in a bright red color. 

"Is that the flower I gave you?," she whispered, not wanting to raise her voice's volume.

Enjolras nodded with his head, explaining to her that it survived surprisingly long. He told her that he had asked the woman from the cafe how to take care of the red rose. He didn't know how to do it and the flowers at the wine shop were always very beautiful and healthy.

Rose smiled at him, loving how he had done his best to keep the flower alive. The small thing she had given to him still in his possession, it made her heart skip a beat and the butterflies in her stomach flying around.

"What are we?"

"Humans, I guess."

"No, Enjolras, I mean we! you and I."

"Whatever you want us to be," he said to her in a soft tone, his right hand resting on her soft cheek. Her eyes had little specks of light in them, they looked absolutely gorgeous.

Rose went in for a soft kiss, wanting him closer to her than he already was. She thought about an answer for her own question, never thinking about a moment like this to happen. Love was something new to her, something she didn't know before. Now she found it, she didn't want to lose it.

"Can we be a 'we'? Something you and I both want, a relationship we don't have with others. You're my world, Enjolras and I don't want to lose that," she admitted.

"You won't lose me, I promise."

"How can you be sure about that? We never know what is going to happen in the future." Rose felt insecure about the whole situation, she didn't understand how, but every bad outcome screamed in her mind.

"We can at least try." Rose nodded with her head, smiling brightly at him. She was thankful for him to believe in it, in them and in the future.

"I am happy to be here you know," she told Enjolras who held her tightly, his nose hidden in the crook of her neck. He held his eyes shut, fighting against the tiredness.

"I know, Rose, I know."

Enjolras took the dark blue blanket and laid it around her, the thin fabric also covering his body. He pushed her to the mattress with his hand, making her lay down and hoping for her that she could rest for the remaining hours before they had to wake up.

She snuggled close to him, her head against his chest and the sound of his heartbeat still singing in her ears. She had her arms around his body, their legs tangled together. She closed her beautiful eyes, started breathing more controllably and felt her rapid heartbeat calm down. Dreams started to form in her mind, they were full of hope, love and friendship. Her thoughts not dark, they weren't as destructive as they used to be.

Enjolras was still awake, wanting to wait until he knew that she was sleeping. He played with her hairs, his fingers brushing on her scalp. He looked at her with full adoration in his eyes, his dreams came true, she wanted to be with him, she loved him. It might have been a bit scary, the idea that the day they'll start their revolution and the deaths it will bring rushing in his mind. He didn't think about stopping or waiting much longer, but he wanted her to be far away when the bad things happen. He wanted her to live a live after the day, even if it would be with someone else.