21▸21

"Good evening dear inspector," Gavroche screamed over the barricades to the man standing between all the students

"Good evening dear inspector," Gavroche screamed over the barricades to the man standing between all the students. Enjolras quickly glanced at the person said to be Javert and recognized him immediately, the low light of the torches lit up every feature of the inspector. Courfeyrac  and Grantaire grabbed him by the arms and the other boys took the gun they had and pointed it at the man. Rose whispered to Lesgle that he had to keep on looking at the streets and give them a sign when he would see something suspicious. She then ran to the inspector and pushed him away from Jean and in the hands of the boys who held his arms behind his back.

"We keep looking forward!," Marius screamed, taking over what the young woman was doing and allowing her to help the others with the inspector.

But Javert was able to slam Grantaire against the wall and push Courfeyrac off him. He punched Enjolras in the face and ran to the other side of the room, where a lonely gun was resting on the old table. He quickly took it and fired a shot around him to keep the boys away from him. They weren't really frightened by the gun and fastly had a grip on him again.

"Enjolras?"

The young leader turned his head to Rose who whispered his name with much panic hidden behind her soft voice. His eyes darted down to her hands pushing against a dark red spot enlarging in the fabric of her white blouse. His face went from a faint smile after seeing the officer fall into a deep slumber to an expression filled with shock and pain, his mouth gaped open and tears filled his bright blue eyes. Enjolras ran toward the falling young girl and catched her hurting body in his arms right before she could collapse onto the wooden floor. He took a hold on her waist and positioned her correctly on his lap, in a way so that she could feel the least amount of pain.

"You're going to be okay, Rose," he promised her while placing her head against his chest and allowing her to rest on his body. She closed her eyes shortly and focused on his fingers rubbing over the back of her hand who were covered in her own dark red blood. A painful cough escaped her lips and made her whimper softly. A lonely tear rolled over her cheeks and was followed with another one.

"I know I'm not, love. It's okay, you don't have to lie." Rose's voice was so silent, he could almost not hear the heartbreaking words she was whispering to him.

"Enjolras, look at me." The man pressed his hand on hers still pushing against her torn flesh and placed a soft kiss on her forehead before staring in her golden eyes. Her beautiful eyes normally filled with joy and life only held the pain she was feeling. The pain of her wound and the pain because she was dying before she could fight in the revolution. Dead before her biggest dream became the truth.

"I love you so much," Rose said with a faint smile on her lips.

"I love you too."

Enjolras turned his head to the Amis standing on the side and looking at the two with pure sadness on their faces. Courfeyrac was crying softly, as was Gavroche who hid behind his legs. Grantaire softly moved to the door and couldn't look at the people staring at him with question in their expression, having no idea what horror was going on inside. He kept his eyes on his feet and only looked at Joly, asking him quickly to come inside and help Rose. Marius who stood next to Joly followed him in the café.

Joly fell on his knees next to Rose and Enjolras, took their hands from the wound in her ribs and examined the thorn flesh underneath her white shirt. Rose flinched her eyes when he pressed on her skin around the wound and sobbed against Enjolras' chest. He stroked her shoulders softly with his fingers while looking at Joly, trying to understand what he was thinking. Trying to know what he was seeing and how bad it was. The medical student glanced up from his dear friend and shook softly with his head, telling him with just the tears in his eyes that it was too late, that the blood loss was too bad.

"Joly help her," Enjolras begged, but the only thing he did was stand on his feet and rest his hand on the leader's shoulder while softly whispering a sorry.

"Please?"

"I can't, Enjolras. I'm sorry."

"Rose?"

"Don't cry, I don't want you to be sad." She pushed his lips up with her shaking fingers and mimicked the smile she had created on his face.

"you're my world, Enjolras and I don't like my world to be sad."

Rose snuggled in his embrace and closed her golden eyes, her breathing became sharper and she could feel her lungs losing the energy to push another breath through her body. Her heartbeat slowed down and she could feel the peace it brought, as if she is falling asleep in an endless dream. Her hands lost the grip around the fabric of her white blouse and fell against the floor. Her lips curled down again and her body loosened, her heart stopped pounding and rested with her. Enjolras pressed a kiss on her forehead, wiped away the hairs out of her face and placed it behind her ears. He smiled at her, but the tears kept on rolling over his cheeks. Combeferre walked to him and Fueilly followed closely. They picked up her body from the leader's arms and rested her in the hall, where she could lay in peace.

Enjolras stood up and took a glance at the boys around him. All stared back at the grieving boy and waited for him to speak. The golden young man wiped away the tears from his face and straightened his posture.

"Let's make her proud."