Chapter 2: A Necessary Evil

Begin!

Universe*

~Normal POV

It was nearly 5 in the morning when the fire truck finally ran out of fuel. They had thankfully stopped next to the first building they had seen since leaving the village.

"Violet, wake up, we've stopped," Duncan said, gently shaking her.

He wished he didn't have to wake her up. He had been enjoying the last few hours having her snuggled up against him.

The inventor tiredly rubbed her eyes, "Did we run out?"

"Yeah and Sunny is tired too, she's been up all night. We stopped next to a gas station though."

Violet sat up and checked the clock, "Alright, let's have a look around. See if you can wake up the lovebirds in the back. Sunny and I will wait at the door, and we'll all go inside together."

Duncan nodded as Violet picked up her sister and climbed out of the truck. He leaned over to the back seat.

"Hey Klaus, Isadora, wake up!"

The two stirred, Isadora opened her eyes first, and spoke groggily, "Duncan, the sun isn't even out yet."

Klaus yawned and reached down to grab his glasses from the floor and put them on, "What time is it?"

"Almost five, the truck ran out of gas but we're at a station. I'm sorry to interrupt your guys' cuddling time, but Violet and Sunny are waiting for us outside," Duncan winked at them before climbing out the door.

Klaus and Isadora were confused at first by his statement until they looked at each other and realized their position. They blushed furiously and quickly separated before getting out of the truck themselves.

"Uh, I... I'm sorry about that, Izzie," Klaus said, running his hand through his messy dark hair nervously.

"It's alright, Klaus, I was the one asleep on you. It's more my fault really," Isadora was looking at the ground with a shy smile.

The poet silently hoped that her brother wasn't angry about her being that close to her crush all night. Sure, Duncan had not objected when she kissed Klaus on the cheek their last night at Prufrock, but she knew he was still her overprotective brother. He had every right to be. Ever since they lost Quigley in the fire, Duncan and Isadora had gotten much closer as brother and sister, and were actively looking out for each other at all times. This protectiveness had increased tenfold after they were kidnapped by Olaf.

"Guys are you coming," Violet called.

Klaus and Isadora joined them at the entrance to the station. It was an incredibly tall building labelled Last Chance General Store. True to its name, the children could see all kinds of things for sale inside. Since this was the only building for miles it must get its business from weary travelers who forgot to pack something essential.

"The sign says it's closed until 8. What do we do," Duncan asked as he peered into the store window.

Violet sighed, "Well... There's a ton of stuff in there we could use for supplies. And we could all use a change of clothes too."

"Even if it was open we don't have any money. What are you suggesting," Klaus asked, afraid of the answer.

"Klaus remember when I had to pick the lock on Olaf's suitcase to get the evidence to prove he killed Uncle Monty? I did that because it was an emergency. It was the same when we had to take that boat across Lake Lachrymose to find Aunt Josephine. I'd say we're in another emergency right now. We'll have to break in and just take what we need."