Always-Chapter 12

I know the story timeline doesn't really go with the original timeline of One Direction (i.e. when they got through X-Factor) But due to the needs of the story, I have to write it this way so yeah:)

-Piper

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“You’ve been going out quite often, Klara.”

My mum’s stern eyes were fixed on me. I longed to escape the scene.

“What’s the matter, Klara? We used to be able to talk about anything.”

I struggled to come up with words. “It’s kind of hard to explain…” Jacob, my older brother, picked the right moment to enter the living room. He froze the moment he saw us, then he slowly came to realization and surprisingly, saved me from the situation.

“Klara’s hanging out with me and my friends, mum. It’s fine.” I peered at Jacob, wondering why the hell he was helping me.

Crossing her arms, Mum narrowed her eyes at Jacob, who grinned innocently, before turning back to me. “No next time, Klara. Do you understand?”

The seriousness in her words scared me. I nodded at once and relief surged in me the moment Mum had left for her bedroom.

Heaving a sigh, I dropped myself on the sofa and fluttered my eyes close briefly before Jacob’s voice snapped me back to reality. “What the heck are you thinking? Coming home this late?” His brows were drawn close together. It was quite rare to see him this worried and grave while he was usually the joker at home.

I peeked at the clock set behind him. It read two o’clock in the morning. I bit the inside of my cheek and answered, “It’s midnight.”

“It’s late,” Jacob remarked and placed his hands on his hips. “And I’m not helping you this time.”

The clock ticked among the silence that followed. My eyes were lingering on the floor, my lips pouted as I tried my best to avoid the look that Jacob was giving me. At the end, he threw his hands up in exasperation. “I’m going to bed. Good night.” He paused and scowled. “Oh wait, no. It’s good morning.”

He was at the base of the staircase when I decided to ask him. “Why did you help me?”

He stopped, his eyes were hidden in the shadows that were caused by the dim lamp light. It took him a brief moment to answer me, and when he did, I wasn’t so sure what to think of it.

“Well, let’s just say, I saw you on the television. With him.”

“You changed, Klara,” My little brother, Moritz, said randomly while Dad was at front driving us to school. It was his day off from work and somehow, he felt like driving his three kids to school early in the morning. I could not fathom that. “You’re different after we have moved here.”

I tried to laugh it off, but Harry’s face kept on popping up in my mind. Feeling kind of guilty, I had to suppress a smile that was playing at my lips. I still couldn’t believe among all these people, Harry had picked me.

“Probably because I was trying to catch up with school,” I replied, though I knew that didn’t make sense. I would do anything to make Moritz change the topic.

“Are you hanging out with my friends and I today after school?” Jacob asked out of nowhere, I could hear the undertone in his voice. I gulped and shrugged.

“I don’t know yet.”

“You better tell me if you do,” Jacob murmured. He glanced out of the window grimly and guilt arose in my chest.

“Hey,” I nudged him, ignoring the curious look from Moritz. Jacob peered at me and I tried a smile. “Thanks.”

He shrugged and looked out of the window again.

The moment I stepped into school, I knew something was wrong. Pupils threw me glances and peeks, their fingers pointing and their lips moving along with their whispered words.

Startled, I recovered soon enough to pretend I was oblivious towards them and headed towards my locker. My heart skipped a beat when I saw Harry leaning against it. His head was down as he continued to read the book in his hands, seemingly unconcern about the looks that pupils gave him.

“See you later,” Jacob said, patting my shoulder before leaving. That caught Harry’s attention and he glanced up, his green eyes filled my world.

A smile began to form at his lips. I was secretly amused that I would be the reason for his rare but too lovely smiles.

“Morning,” He said once I was close enough. I grinned while he moved aside, allowing me to open my locker and get my books.

“Excited for Saturday?” I asked casually, trying to play my cool. Once I had shut the locker door close, I turned to him, only to realize he was only standing just inches away from him. I had to look up in order to meet his eyes.

“Of course, I’m excited for the final.”

My heart was pounding crazy for his closeness. But then, his brows knitted and I noticed the familiar frown that he had whenever he was anxious. God I knew him so well. “You will be fine.” I assured him. Reaching out, I brushed my fingers against his hand as if I could transfer the warmth of comfort to him. The frown did not cease. I locked eyes with him and said as softly as possible, putting all my faith in the words. “Trust me.”

He nodded and took my hands. My heart took flight once more.

We walked down the corridor together and by then, I seriously could not ignore the death glares from the other girls, or the eyes that they gave to Harry. Peering at my boyfriend, I discovered he was glancing at me as well.

“What?” I tried to sound playful but I knew I must have looked weary.

“This is all a bit strange, isn’t it?” Harry asked quietly. I peeked around and swallowed. He continued, “Everything changed, then. X-Factor changed it all.”

It was almost weird how Harry was not the only one who had said those similar words just this morning. The atmosphere seemed to shift between us and somehow, I knew I wouldn’t like what was going to happen with us next.