Always-Chapter 13

I left the bustling classroom once my English teacher had released us. I held onto the straps of my bag as my eyes darted around in the school corridor, hoping I could catch a glimpse of the curly hair. 

Ever since we had gotten close, Harry always tried to pick me up from classes for lunch. I was hoping it would be the same for today. I stood on my tip toes and peered around. He was nowhere to be seen. 

Just as I was about to leave for my locker, someone poked my shoulder. Turning on my heels, I was met with two girls with tall pony tails. "Can I help you?" I asked, confused since I had never talked to these two pupils before. They looked about two years younger than I was. 

"Are you Klara? The new transfer student?" The girl on the left asked, a cold smile hung at the tip of her lips.

"Yeah. Do I know you?" 

The girl in front of me crossed her arms and lifted the corner of her lips up. "That's the problem. You don't know me, but I know you."

I almost gaped at her. "What are you even talking about?" 

Before she could finish, Jacob approached me. "Hey, Klara." I glanced up at him and arched an eyebrow questioningly. Jacob flashed a brief smile at me. "Wanna go grab lunch together?"

I startled and blinked. In school, Jacob never really had lunch with me. He was usually with friends from his own year. He was quite an out going chap, which was a contrast to me, his sister. I shrugged and gave the girls one last look before leaving for lunch with my brother.

"Are they your friends?" Jacob asked once we were far away enough.

"Heck no. I don't even know them," I answered in annoyance.

Jacob gazed ahead as he remarked, "I was wondering. They didn't look very friendly."

"Why do you want to have lunch with me though, Jac? No offense, but I'd imagined you prefer hanging out with your friends." I peered sideway to watch his expression. He was careful not to reveal anything. Pupils kept pushing past us, which made it even harder to catch up with Jacob.

"It's a special day, Klara."

"What special day?"

By then, we were just about to enter the school canteen. Unsurprisingly, there was already a long queue to our lunch lady. Jacob pulled the door open for me and stood aside. "Well, you're going to see for yourself."

I frowned and glanced around. There was something in the bustling crowd that was unsettling to me, but I couldn't put a finger on it. Jacob neared me and placed a gentle hand on my shoulder. "Over there," He reminded me.

Looking across, I could see my usual table filled with people, and in the middle of it all, sat Harry with his face hidden in shadow.