6

Kit's POV

His gaze was percolating through my bone. We had a staring contest for a moment before I tore my gaze away from him - the intensity of his eyes were too much for me to handle.

"Ah, what do you mean? " I was surprised for I was able to ask the question without stuttering. The pounding of my heart was so fast and loud that I could not hear my own thoughts. I was freaking nervous.

The corner of his pursed lips perked up forming a conceited smile, he roared in laughter afterwards. I breathe out heavily the air I have been holding since he spoke the words. I was totally relieved that he didn't mean it. Ice is a friend - a very special one. If he actually meant it, I hate it but I would have to keep my distance from him. He is special but I didn't want to give him any false hopes. It wouldn't be fair to him. And I have Ming, I do not want to worry him at all especially if it was for something insignificant. Knowing Ming,  he would make a big issue out of something unimportant.

"If only you can see your face, Kit. " he said juggling his laughter and words - he was holding his stomach as if he was really having fun. He tried to restrain his laughter but he occasionally failed. Luckily, we were far from the librarian's earshot or else they would have been kicked out the moment Ice started to laugh - other students were glaring at them. His laughter was ear-splitting.

"Not funny, Ice." faking my frown, pushing him away lightly. I wanted to kick him but restrained myself from doing so.

"The look on your face though, it was epic! " he retorted, "You looked like all the blood left your head. I bet you wanted to run away with your tail in between your legs." he carried on at taunting me. He was having fun making a fool out of me.

"First, I don't have a tail. Second, make sure I don't get to grab a book so I can smash it in your pretty face - well second to Ming's oh and there's Pha and Forth and Beam." he waved his hand as if telling me to stop listing.

"I get it,  I get it. I am last on your list. " he acted hurt.

"And third, it was because I was ready to kick that person and I didn't want to have to do to it to myself. " I continued - frowning even more. 

"You self-absorbed midget, what made you think I was serious?" he countered. 

"What the? I am not a midget, I'm just.. " I saw Ice raising his brow - watching me having a hard time coming up with a proper word to say. "vertically challenged. "

"What's the difference? " daring me,  he asked.

I rolled my eyes and spoke nothing. I averted my gaze to the floor, paying him no mind with all my might for I ran out of comebacks. 

He suddenly went hushed. I was thinking his conscience was eating him or so I wish.

"Just what if, " he spoke after a pregnant silence -his tone was serious. It made me look back at him. "only what if Kit. Okay? " he locked our gaze, he sounded hopeful? His face sported an amused grin. 

"Go on, stop beating around the bush. "

"Do you think it is impossible for you to like me?" he asked, I was bothered by the seriousness in his eyes which matched his tone.

"But I like you, " I saw his eyes flickered for a moment then masked it forthwith.

He rolled his eyes,  "Like as in, a-very-adorable-handsome-and-amazing-friend like or a-manly-oh-so-good-looking-man-that-you-want-to-be-your-boyfriend-like. " he pressed.

I tapped his back, "How narcissistic of you to compliment yourself twice in one sentence."

"Can't help stating the obvious," he quipped, shrugging as if he said something a matter of factly. 

"If it's that obvious you wouldn't have to say it, let me compliment you."

"All you see is Ming so I am pretty sure, you wouldn't anyway."

I stuck my tongue out for I lack of better retort. "So?" he urged, not letting me get away with his question.

"Let's just say, if I don't have Ming.."

"You would have me?" he expectantly inquired cutting me, his tone with a mixed of mock and seriousness. But since I don't want to make a mistake for taking his words seriously again, I turned a deaf ear instead.

"I will still look for Ming." I taunted.

He grumbled. "You're whipped."

I grinned from ear to ear, "Yeah, you can say that again." 

Ice was about to open his mouth when a loud voice called my name.

"Kit!!! " 

Our head pivoted in unison and our eyes trailed where the voice came from. My mouth unlatched, mind shocked and my body froze. Shit.

What the hell is she doing here?

I felt like a storm is brewing and it's brewing fast.

In large strides, she walked up to me elegantly and confidently - like she always did. She has one of the most beautiful face and she has a good personality to match it with - at least for me.

For others, she was often misunderstood as distant and mean. She was both feared and loved by many because she was never afraid to speak her mind but at the same time she was warm. Being liked by everybody isn't a thing for her because she'll be fine even if they don't. She is the type of woman you wouldn't want to introduce with your significant other because she can easily sway them.

She can easily make people like her. I didn't mind it then for I benefit from it.

"Preeya, what - ?" before I could finish my sentence, she had her lips smashed to mine and her fingers at the back of my head keeping it still.

"What the -?"

It was the last thing I heard from Ice before I felt Preeya's lips moved against mine.

Preeya was also known as my 'ex-girlfriend'.

I am definitely in trouble.