12

Kit

It thrilled me to set a date for us. I've never been the type to go the extra mile when it comes to showing my affection, luckily, Ming never complained. He definitely knew what he was getting himself into when he pursued me but that doesn't mean I shouldn't make an effort. Maybe, today is one of those that I need to do something.

When was the last time I set a date for us? I wonder, it's always been Ming. Often, out of the blue, he would ask me out for a date especially before he left for his field study. He need not occasions to have one, he said every day is a special day because he was with me. How corny can he get? I can't help but smile at the memory.

I took a gander at my wall clock, I grinned for I still have ample of time to settle everything for our date. I wanted to take this opportunity to show how much I appreciate Ming. I wanted him to feel that despite me being so blunt and harsh at him at times, if not all the time, to see that I was making an effort for us. I wanted to put an equal effort for our relationship to show how happy he makes me feel. Since, I'm already at it, might as well go all out. I reserved a song for us so they serenade him later. I can imagine the teasing I was going to get from Ming because this was so out of character of me to do so but I knew despite of the teasing he'll appreciate the effort.

I hope so.

My attention was caught by my phone as it vibrated. It was on the table.

Where are you? - Ice

Oh shoot! I forgot I need to meet him to give the flash drive with all the data we needed for our project.

Sorry, on the way. - Kit

I replied, without bothering to change my clothes. I took the flash drive, car key and wallet in my bag. It was a quick meet up so I don't see the need to bring a bag with me.

We met up at a cafe by the university, it was small, and cozy. The shop had glass walls, adorned with hanging fern plants. It was so relaxing. They have available tables outside under huge black umbrellas, and wooden floor. It was newly renovated, and I've instantly thought of bringing Ming in this place.

"Ice!"

"Hey." Ice looked up - tearing his gaze from his laptop, and never forgot to smile.

"Sorrryyy! " I sat opposite to him, and pressed my palm together to apologize.

"You owe me a drink. "

I smiled. "Okay, what do you want? "

"The usual. "

I knew what his usual is. We often meet at cafes for our school work since we've often grouped together whenever there was a pair work. Pha often paired with Beam, cause he was the laziest, and he was scared of Pha so he didn't have the choice but to do his part most of the time.

Our frappes were brought in our table while Ice, and I discussed over what to do with our project when the door chimed. The person might have pushed it hard for the chimes echoed inside loudly. It called the attention of the customers both of us weren't an exception.

There, I saw Preeya entering with her beautiful smile, and I wanted to conceal myself because she smelt trouble. However, the person that followed him was someone I never expected.

Ming.

This was my fear when I saw Preeya in the campus - for her to meet Ming and for Ming to meet her. I trust Ming, but I believed feelings can be swayed. Preeya is likeable, her personality matched Ming so well, and when it came to looks department - they suited each other. You can even call them a couple made in heaven. The fear crept in my veins, looking at how Ming laughed at what she was saying. He was holding a bunch of books which I was certain not his for he left earlier without it. Also, though my man was keeping his distance, Preeya was hitting him subtly on his arm whenever she laughed. It was infuriating me, and at the same time, it was giving me a heavy feeling.

"You okay? " Ice asked, concern was written all over his face.

"Ha? Ah! Hmm. "

"Do you want to leave? "

I looked at them, he didn't even notice me. He didn't even bother to look around.

"Is it okay? " I asked.

"Sure, we're done anyway. "

We stood and walked our way out, the distance wasn't that close but we passed by them to get through the door without Ming even noticing my presence. I didn't want to impose, and I didn't want to over think but I couldn't stop my head from thinking of unwanted scenarios. It wasn't helping me at all.

I halted, and once and for all, confront the situation. I didn't want to assume, maybe, Ming was just being a gentleman. Maybe, it was just nothing. Maybe, they just met, and that was it. There was really nothing to it, and I was just stupid to give meaning to it.

I fished my phone out, and dialed his number.

"Hey!" Ming chirped, excusing himself from Preeya, and walked few steps away from her before whispering in a teasing tone, "Miss me? "

"Of course not. "

"I knew it. I miss me, too kitty! "

"Pathetic, " I knew Ming sensed the smile on my lips as I said the word.

He chuckled, and I grin as I watch him leaned on the counter. "Hmm, " Ming pouted. "Kit?"

"Hmm? "

"I miss you. "

All the apprehension was all gone in no time, "Will you finish early today? "

"No, I want you to finish first. Real men finish last, you know. "

"Shameless! "

He laughed out hard which made Preeya looked at him. He didn't give her a glance.

"Tonight, let's eat out. I'll text you the place and time. "

"Is this a date? "

"Yes. "

"I'll definitely come, I'll do whatever I have to do fast. "

I suppressed a smile, "Where are you anyway? "

"My department. "

My brow rose up, department? He was clearly not. Why did he has to lie?

"With? "

"Nok. "

I bit my lower lip to stop myself from saying unnecessary. I was just over thinking. It was nothing. There was really nothing to it. I sauntered away with Ice following me. I was glad, truly glad that he wasn't being nosy.

It wasn't clear how I ended the call but I was certain I managed to end it well for Ming had a lingering smile on his face after. I threw them one last glance before I walked with a heavy heart.